5D vs 645 MF

louis_greene

I hope that you all have found this thread to to as interesting and thought provoking as I have. I appreciate everyones input and viewpoints. This is the stuff that makes the world go round, and hopefully people make more educated decisions. Roger I'll check that link - thanks. Jeff, thanks, I probably should do that.

Wow, a lot of feedback already. Just want to add my 2 cents. My owned 645 Contax and I sold it to get a 1Ds Mark II. I think the quality of the Contax (after scanning the film with a 4800 dpi scanner) and the 1Ds Mark II (16 MP) is equal. While 5D has only 10 MP, it will a good camera, but I just do not think it will be MF quality.

William, I think (and I may be wrong) that the 5D will be closer to 13MP. Of course that puts it right in the middle of your 16, and the other 10MP numbers cited. So how close to 645 quality will it be? Should be interesting to see. I know all your hearts will bleed for me, but I am off to Denali NP for a few days :) I look forward to seeing any new posts upon my return!

Lous:

I truly believe the 16 MP 1Ds Makr II is equal to 645 MF quality if you scan the film with a 4800 dpi scanner (not drum scan). So if the 5D is about 13 MP, so I would say 5D is about 82% of the 645 MF quality (13/16=81.25%). Other features to condider are burst rate, sensor size, noise, and other camera body features.

Thanks for your follow up reply. It seems like then that the 13Mp will be close to my scans of 645 at the 4000 DPI the 8000 is capable of (verse your 16mp to 645 at 4800 dpi). After being out and shooting again thinking about all this I have to tell you that it'd be a pleasure to use one body! I can honestly say I didn't even shot with the 645 becasue it was a hassle. I use basically the 10D. Seems to me anyway you look atit (for me at least) the 5D will be much better quality (than the 10D, and maybe be nearly comparable to my 645 sanned at 4000 dpi)but it was be VASTLY more portable and convenient. That being said, I WILL use it to take oictures and that will always be better than the one not being taken as the 645 sits in the bag! Now I just gotta find 3K and know that in 2 years I'll get more camera at half the price.........