Quantaray 50mm macro

kim_dickerson

"The salesperson claims that the Quantaray is just as good as the Nikon. Is this true?"

Salespersons make all kinds of claims. Most of the time they are just blowing sunshine up your ...

Let me guess. Ritz? In this instance - either they don't have the Nikon in stock, or a far more likely scenario - they will make *MORE* margin/profit on the Quantaray even though it is cheaper.

Don't take any stock tips from this joker.

Opinions will vary, but if you really want to use the lens for macro, I'd suggest a 90-105mm length in Tamron (my favorite macro), Sigma, Tokina, or Nikon. You'll need the extra working distance. A 50mm macro is't super-practical. As for Sigma (Quantrary) vs. Nikon, the 50mm or 100mm length is one in which most manufacturers do very good work.

Ritz is a bit of a scam outfit IMHO.

Short version: shell out a little more for the Nikkor. If necessary, wait a while, saving a bit of money each payday until the Nikkor fits the budget.

Quantarays have been made by various third party manufacturers, some of them virtually unknown in the U.S. Considering the quality of the Quantarays I've seen the past several years, it would be an improvement if they really were made by Sigma or Tamron to those lens makers usual standards for consumer grade lenses.

Ritz and what remains of the Wolf camera chain are generally worse than they used to be. According to a bit of Ritz/Wolf lore told to me by a longtime manager of one of these stores, the chains were owned by relatives (brothers-in-law if I recall correctly). Supposedly there was some rivalry. At any rate, Ritz prevailed and swallowed Wolf (there's something ironic about this), leaving some Wolf outlets to carry on under their lupine name.

The typical Ritz store is staffed by folks who know nothing or don't care. They give bad advice out of ignorance or to push Quantary stuff or whatever name brand stuff offers the best spiff at the moment. The last time I was in a Ritz store a customer asked for an easy to use, affordable flash for her Canon dSLR. Instead of explaining and demonstrating the benefits of spending a little more money for a TTL flash, he sold her a Quantaray auto-thyrister flash with no TTL capability. Most of the worst characteristics of Ritz, both for the corporation and customer, were on display here: poor salesmanship, ignorance of one's stock or, worse, indifference, sticking a customer with an inferior bit of gear when the same $50 could have been put toward something better.

Since taking over Wolf, Ritz photo processing has suffered. Processing is overpriced, quality is indifferent and employees are sometimes surly, refusing to reprint poor prints that they'd screwed up.

A Wolf outlet on Harry Hines Blvd. in Dallas has remained a pretty good store - knowledgeable staff, a good used equipment section, lighting gear, etc.

Other than that store, I wouldn't buy anything from Ritz.

Hope this is not too late but if your budget is tight and hence why you are looking at a 50mm macro lens, I suggest take a look at the Vivitar or Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 macro lens. Relatively cheap and reasonable quality. It gives you the added distance to work with for your macro stuff espcially insects. See review:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/phoenix/100f35-1.html

@Lex: Quantaray lenses were almost all Sigma for many years. Only recently did they add Tamron to the mix. (When they first started carrying rebranded Tamron, some of the Quantaray lenses were even shipped in plastic bags with Tamron printed on them.)

Otherwise I agree with you 100%... and I say this as a former Ritz employee.