Where to shoot near Santa Rosa, Ca

david_simonds

Pt. Reyes for sure. And try to visit all parts of the PR National Seashore, not just Pt. Reyes itself. It's a big place. And don't overlook the adjacent Tomales Bay State Park. The beaches there are lovely at sunrise and at low tide you can hike along the water from beach to beach. And the hills to the east of Pt. Reyes are lovely, if subtle. Here's a low-res shot from along the Pt. Reyes-Petaluma Rd.<div>00DVfj-25599584.jpg.5f6087c27a7cbb034f9cdd7f04900e2c.jpg</div>

One of my favorite California towns. It depends on what you want to photograph. You've got the coast to the west, the redwoods to the north, the Wine Country to the east, and San Francisco to the south. You will be in Sonoma County just south of the Russian River. You could drive the Russian River road to the coast and then go south to Marin County. Marin, where Point Reyes National Seashore is, is the next county south. (Get a copy of Rowell's Bay Area Wild if you need ideas). Muir Woods, Mount Tamalpais, and the San Andreas Fault are down there too. Or, if you were inclined, you could drive north on US101 to the redwoods. In Mendocino County, the coastal communities are Mendocino and Ft. Bragg which you could get to via state route 128 out of Cloverdale and which also takes you through the smallish Anderson Valley wine country (Navarro, Husch). You might enjoy spending a night at the Point Arena Lighthouse, which has a Web site. Or, you might enjoy going up US 101 to Willits and taking the Skunk Railroad to the coast, or you could continue north into Humboldt County where there are some remote and isolated old roads to the coast and remote communities like Shelter Cove, which you get to by driving from Humboldt Redwoods State Park north of Garberville (the Benbow Inn is in Garberville -- nice place to stay). US101 runs through Humboldt Redwoods State Park, but they have also retained the old two-lane blacktop and that is what you probably should take for photography. Get a book or a brochure. There are a number of groves where you can park and walk into the woods. Bring a tripod. It's dark in some spots. Coastal California by John Doerper might be helpful to you. Why don't you see if you can take an extra week?

Friends, thanks to all. It is rare to get such a concordance of opinions. Pt Reyes it is. Suggestions for high vs low tide, or sunrise vs sunset? I generally shoot Velvia 50 or Astia (I live on the Maine coast). I've got some Kodak GX100 as well. Which would have the best palette? Unfortunately, I have only one, maybe two days. Suggestions for particular spots in Pt Reyes? Thanks again.

I would choose Sonoma Coast State Beach over Point Reyes for someone unfamilliar with the area because the highway follows right beside the coast for 8 miles with numerous small beaches and rocky headlands. One can just pull off beside the road, walk short distances, and shoot. Most better spots at Point Reyes require a fair amount of hiking. Also SCSB has more sea stack rocks and islands than any place on the California coast. But don't bother with a trip to the coast at all if it is either going to be foggy or windy.

For the Point Reyes National Seashore, you might go to Amazon.com and pick up a copy of Point Reyes Seashore: A Hiking and Nature Guide, by Don and Kay Martin. It's only 8 bucks. Of particular interest is appendix A1 with 3 best foggy day trails, 3 best beach trails, 3 best flora trails, 3 best birding areas, 3 best view trails, 3 best creeks and waterfall trails, 3 best wildflower trails, and 3 best beginner trails. Appendix A2 recommends trails for each season. It's got 22 appendixes in all, and 37 hikes with maps.

Be careful of the poison oak, and remember the sun rises over the hills to the east and sinks over the ocean to the west. This is apparently a concept that mystifies certain easterners when they come here-).

Gents, thanks for yours. David, I will give the Sonoma suggestion a look. I have to say that foggy and windy days on the Maine coast are my favorites. I usually don't even go out if it is sunny 16. Bill, I can deal with the directional shift but my Rollei has expressed some cognitive dissonance. I suspect there is a camera therapist in Santa Rosa....

I wouldn't overlook Sugarloaf Ridge. On highway 12 just east of Sana Rosa.

Some great early morning trails to get above the fog.

A great Wine Country loop is to drive over Calistoga Rd. from highway 12 to

the Napa Valley. Then take highway 128 to Geyersville through the vineyards

of Alexander Valley. Take the old Redwood Highway back to Santa Rosa.

Day 2 A coastal loop. Drive north on 101 to Geyserville take Canyon Rd. and

Skaggs springs road over to the coast. The drive down highway 1 to Bodega

bay. Or cut back across on Coleman Valley Rd. to Occidental for dinner. You

will have plenty of superb mountain and coastal vistas on this trip. Be sure to

visit the Stewarts Point Grocery when you hit the coast. Fort Ross is kinda

neat too. Stop in at Salt Point to see the cool rock formations.

Good luck and God's light to you

Chris