580EX w/external battery config question

m_het

I recently purchased a Quantum Battery 1+ for my 580EX and was wondering if anyone has

or knows of a similiar configuration. My problem/question is the battery door not closing

on the 580EX while using the module battery pack cable. Quantum sends little velcro

strips to hold the door shut but they also demonstrate how the flash battery door slides

shut and not swings shut like the 580EX does. It just doesn't seem right to me. Isn't there

a use for the external jack on the side of the 580 besides Canon's own power pack which

only uses AA's? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quantum has other models which use a cable that will connect to the external power connector on your 580EX. The problem is that this is a high voltage connection and your Quantum battery is a 6 volt model which simply is a direct replacement for the batteries in the 580EX. That's why it must connect via the battery compartment.

I think you would have been better off buying the Canon CP-E2 battery pack and using rechargeable NiMH batteries in both the 580EX and the battery pack. I have this combination and it recycles very fast.

You can either notch the door with a file, or get a high voltage power pack like the Quantum Turbo. It, and other high voltage packs, uses the high voltage port on the flash.

Your problem is you bought a Quantum Battery 1+. Not a great choice for a 580EX, in my opinion, since it really doesn't recycle the flash much faster than a good set of rechageable AA NiMH's.