BGLOD- D 70

rakesh dhareshwar

Has anyone here experienced the BGLOD - Blinking green light of death

with their D70?

If so , how did nikon react to it????

did they charge a hefty amount or did it free of charge.

Anyone knows how to avoid it?

Also I am not too clear on how this hits the camera. Mine is a March

05 model. Is it prone to the attack or was it solved before?

Can I find out my date of manufacture and place from the serial no.

of my camera????

I know these are a lot of questions.

Thanx a lot, in advance.

I've not heard anything on avoiding it. It may also be worth nothing that people thousands of people don't post here that they are happily using the camera without the BGLOD. (Well, I am). One would imagine Nikon is always making tweaks to the camera, and yours probably has a relatively up-to-date firmware. And you of course have the warranty, or you made a conscious actuarial decision to self-insure. If you have the camera though, and there no one thing that triggers the problem, what are you doing to do even if you find out it is "susceptible"? Just take pictures; it seems like much ado about something you can't prevent. And make sure you don't get hit by a meteorite or fall in a manhole...

mine is a REALY early purchse... first batch in asia.

They fixed under warranty, when it was about to expire..... free of charge of course.

not just that.... i found i might 've focus issue 2 months after they fixed it (warranty expired already)... and my LCD was staring to fail... frame count can't display properly. I send my camera back, with the invoice of the repair (which was under warranty). They checked the focus for me, and REPLACED the LCD panel for FREE!

i don't trust my D70 as much as the D100 anymore, but at least i'm happy with the customer service.

I've noticed in watching the many Nikon forums that March 2004 D70's seem to be especially prone to BGLOD.

For the record, my March 2005 D70 has had no problems at all (sound of knocking on wood........)

BD

Yes. Unfortunately I just experienced it this weekend and will have to send the D70 off for

repair. It's 6 weeks out of warranty, so we'll see if Nikon will repair if for a nominal charge.....

This certainly shakes my confidence in Nikon's desire to build a quality DSLR at mid level

price point. Where oh where is the N8008/F801 of the DSLR world?

Where it was made is on the bottom of the camera. Japan has a law that everything made outside of Japan that is sold in Japan has to have country of origin on it. The D70 was sold in Japan as well as elsewhere, so start with the bottom plate. \\I have no idea how to find out when it was made.

Conni

Aren't the D70 and D70s made in Thailand only? In these days, it is unnecessary to get all concerned about where a product is made. One way or another, the parts would be coming from all over the place anyway. The "Made in <whereever>" lable mainly indicates where the final assembly is.

• 1 year later...

Hi..I was searching the web for Bglod, and thought I would contribute. I purchased my D70 in March of 05 from a US dealer.

I got the Bglod in May. Sent it back to Nikon with a nice letter. They repaired it for free, identifying it as bglod. After I got it back, within 4 weeks it died again. I sent it back, and they repaired it for free (replaced fuse, repaired flash, and cleaned CCD)

The invoice noted "no battery", but I had sent it back. I got the camera back with a battery. I turned it on and nothing happened. So, I charged the battery. According to the charger, it was "charged" (non flashing light) within an hour. I went to the drugstore and bought some CR2 batteries, and put them in. It works fine. I am nervous about using the Nikon battery, so I will buy a new one. At this point, I don't know if I should keep the D70 or trade up/down. I don't have another $1200 to spend.