First D2 images

These are my first D2 images after recently acquiring a mint used

version here in Seattle. Wonderful camera and perfect for a near M

like experience. Images are not cropped nor are they "worked on" with

the exception of contrast. Hope you enjoy!!!

http://homepage.mac.com/matt4c/PhotoAlbum23.html

http://homepage.mac.com/matt4c/PhotoAlbum24.html

For some reason David's links do not connect. Let me try:<p><p>

<a href=http://homepage.mac.com/matt4c/PhotoAlbum23.html>Folder 1</a><p><p>

<a href=http://homepage.mac.com/matt4c/PhotoAlbum24.html>Folder 2</a><p><p>

Glad to do this, Jerry, but what happened when you copied these url's and pasted them into your browser window? That should've worked.

Hi Matt,

<p>

Many interesting images (strong composition and oblique points of view, esp with the 28mm end of the lens) at your site. Having once owned and extensively used a D2 for similar type of work, I agree that its mechanical rather than menu driven functioning make it one of the most M like of digital cameras and the lens and chip are excellent in my experience within their limitations.

<p>I wish people who expressed strong opinions about tools would have some real hands-on experience with them before categorically writing them off without explanation. We all gain when the strengths and weaknesses of various tools are discussed. But the need of some people to express categorical opinions without any explanation or rationale suggests to me that there are petty psychological motivations behind their posts, most unhelpful and childish. Al Kaplan... Good on ya for taking a stand! (and I love your one handed wide angle shots).<p>

Eric

Thanks for the positive feedback. For those with negative D2 opinions...well, let me just say this: similar objections were made when O Barnack introduced his original Leica model to the public. In the age of large format, his camera seemingly missed the mark regarding resolution and image quality. Same arguments today in the world of "more megapixels." It is a shame to get stuck in the mire of waiting for more when there are pictures out there to record.

The D2 is special. It is small, quiet and offers a more immediate photo experience over larger DSLR models. I know because I own 2 pro spec Nikon DSLRs. The D2 captures more micro details, has a larger contrast range, and competes well against DSLRs when printed images are compared at an 11x14 size. Yes, it is slower. But how many wiz bang away with an M? Anyway, it all comes down to proper work flow, calibration and intent. Most will never understand their tools or be happy with what they own. Human nature I guess. I like the fact I can interact freely without alarming those around me.

For those who mentioned a low contrast problem-I have calibrated my monitor for a 2.2 gamma on a current Mac. Also factor in JPEG compression.

It is sad when folks get caught up in equipment and forget these tools are for making available to all important, special or artistic moments-moments never to repeated again.

Again, thanks to those who commented on my images.

Matt

Matt: I have had a Leica D-1 for quite awhile and I like the pix it produces. A little over a

year ago I thought I might also buy a D-2. Before I made a purchase decision, I borrowed a

D-2 and used it for a week. Didn't like the pix it produced and didn't like the viewfinder. A

few months later, I borrowed an entirely different D-2 with the same result. Although the

D-1 is a much less capable camera (basically, a point-and-shoot with a nice Leica zoom

lens) I much prefer it to the Leica D-2. Simple reason: I like the look of the D-1 pictures

better. This is all very subjective and it is all moot: both cameras are out of production.

Both can be purchased as "new - old stock" or as used cameras.