Portrait Lens Choice for D70

richard_e

This question has been discussed many times. Nikon currently has no dedicated portrait lenses for its DSLRs yet. The 50mm lenses are the closest substitutes at the moment.

The 60mm/f2.8 is a macro; in portrait photography, sharpness is not always a virtue. Moreover, it lacks the really large apertures for a very shallow depth of field.

Thank you....would the 18-70mm work for portaits? I'm buying a D70..dont have it yet. Not sure which body/lens combo to get. I have an old nikon AF 35-70mm. I plan to use my d70 for portraits. I can get a good deal on the d70 18-70 kit but of course if a dedicated 50mm would be better, I'd get that instead. help.

For those who are getting a D70 or D70s and are not sure which lens to get, the 18-70 DX is a good "default" lens to have. It covers a nice range and is quite affordable. It is a bit of the slow side for portrait work if you like shallow depth of fields.

Richard's 35-70mm/f2.8 AF can be used for portrait work also. Again, a good portrait lens for digital is really missing at the moment. We need something like a 60 or 70mm/f1.4 or 1.8 from Nikon.

I would say get the 18-70mm, it is good for an all-round zoom. For portraits maybe it is not fast enough although of course it can be used when needed. And then, eitherway, I would get the 50mm 1.8, because it is fast, relatively good for portraits and for low light situations, and most of all cheap at about 80$. Afterwards you can decide about the 85mm (if you need it or not).

Don't know if you have a chance to borrow/rent a lens, but check to see if the angle of view (AOV) offered by an 85mm works for you...

Yes, the AOV is equivalent to that of 128mm, but if you can make that work, then there is nothing better than the 85mm/1.4 AFD.

Otherwise, for the "traditional" AOV, the 60mm is kind of an intriguing option.

The nikkor lense I have is an AF Nikkor 35-70mm/1:3.3-4.5....dont know if this would work. I can get a used d70 kit with the 18-70mm from a friend of mine for about $760..in good shape. Also could just get a new d70, use my old nikkor lense and get a 50mm. doesn't sound like I could go wrong either way.

Does that change your answer? Choices are: used D70 kit with zoom (good condition), new D70 w/50mm, my old zoom, new d70s w/50mm. This would be used for still family portraits...close ups of grand children, etc. But, mostly still subjects.

I'm buying this for my Dad who is a photo buff..appreciate the advice.

Comming from the 35-70 you already own (as do I) the 18-70 kit with AF-S and reasonably good build quality is miles ahead. I own and enjoy the 50 1.8 but use it very rarely compared to the kit lens.

Dont miss the great price you get it for with the camera!

Thank you all. I decided to pony up for a NEW d70 with the 18-70 zoom lens kit. I can always pick up a 50mm. The used one for $770 already has 3900 exposures, which is about as many as my father would take in two years. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Shun,

Thanks for the response. But image sharpness/quality wise, which is better? I have a 28mm AIS and 105 AIS lens, it blows my mind how sharp these older lenses are. I could honestly say they are way sharper than any of the newer lenses I own. I wouldn't mind carrying a handheld meter if the AI/S will yeild sharper images.