Two jpegs to save time

I would like to save my images as a fine jpeg and a smaller for web

viewing as easy as possible. Is there a way to do this with a batch

scan and to create an action for it? I am running windows xp with PS

7 and a Nikon D1. I would like to put the orginal fine jpegs into

one folder to print at a later time and the other folder would be

smaller to send or view on the net.

Thanx

Hmm never tried doing two saves at once but one thing you can do is save all of them high-res and create a PS action to scale all of them down to the lower resolution version and save those in another folder. I've been doing that with photos on my webpage (you can also have it automatically add a copyright logo thingy to every low-res photo that you plan to post online).

<p>I have Elements 3, which lacks actions but has the ability to do a batch process consisting of a number of simple tasks like resizing, sharpening, etc. So I do something like the first response suggested. I edit all of the full-sized files. Once that's done, I run a batch to resize them, sharpen them, and save them to a different directory using whatever JPEG compression level I feel is appropriate for the intended use. I wish it allowed interlaced JPEGs but it doesn't; oh well.</p>

<p>I do the same thing to make thumbnails, too, though I have to add an extra step after Elements is finished since the batch process doesn't give the option of stripping non-image data (e.g. EXIF tags) from things, and who wants a 6 kB thumbnail of which less than 2 kB is actually the image? So I use jhead to strip off the non-image data.</p>

One of the first things I looked for when getting into digital imaging was an image viewer program. It's nearly a necessity to have something along these lines, to supplement full-blown editors such as Photoshop, imho. Something for file managing, copying, converting, resizing, renaming, slide shows, etc.

I settled on ACDSee, which is in the $50~$100 range. There are myriad others, some free, some cheap. Irfanview is highly recommended, and is freeware.

Most of these will do batch resize/conversions, no muss no fuss.

After you've tweaked your NEFs or other uncompressed/lossless files to your satisfaction you can use Picasa, a freebie program, to create "gift CDs" which can convert the original files to full size JPEGs or to the closest thing to 640x480, 800x600 or 1600x1200.

I'll typically save a set of full rez JPEGs for printing via a Fuji/Aladdin or Kodak kiosk and another set at 640x480 for e-mailing or web display.

Picasa's gift CD creates an autorunning slideshow that's easy for anyone with a PC to use (I don't think it autoruns on a Mac, tho'). And the files are saved in standard JPEG format so they can be used and accessed like any JPEG.

The whole thing is done in batch mode, altho' each resolution requires another batch setup: one for the original size, another for the smaller size, etc. However multiple folders can be selected and run in batch mode and will be stored as separate folders on the slideshow CD.

<p>First, figure out what percentage you want to reduce your photos; using a percentage

instead of a width/height means you can use the same action for both landscape and

portrait shots. Now, create the following action in PS7:

<ol>

<li>Resize to desired percentage.

<li>Save As/Save Optimized with desired settings; save to Folder A.

<li>History -> Open

<li>Resize to desired percentage.

<li>Save As/Save Optimized with desired settings; save to Folder B.

<li>Close; don't save changes.

</ol>