Camera for street photography

yves_garcia

Hello everyone!

I'm about to sell my Olympus E-1 digital equipment to buy me a new film camera.

Main purpose is street, people, artisitic and architecture photography.

I'm hesitating between a Contax G2 with the 45mm F2 or the Leica CM.

Why does two? They're point & shoot with manual capabilities.

In Geneva, Switzerland, they're actually at the same price... and I canno't really afford more

than that.

What's you're point of view on those two cameras?

Thanks & Regards.

Greetings from Switzerland!

Yves,

<p>

I personally would go for the Contax G series; optically both are great, but the CM as a fixed lens camera cannot be extended in future. Plus I like the ergonomics on the G series better, but that is a personal preference. The G2 with a lens will cost you a bit less than the CM.

<p>

I have a G1 myself at home and together with either the 45 Planar or the 28 Biogon this is a great camera system - quite compact, but no compromise in picture quality. If you know how the AF works, the G1 is in my eyes a more than viable alternative to the G2. If you look at german eBay expect to pay about EUR 350 for a G1 / Planar combination or about EUR 500 for a G2 set, a bit more for the (newer) CM.

<p>

Yves

What forum is this?

Many decades of street photogrsphy have shown that Leicas are great for this. An M6 with a 35mm lens is "Standard" for this type of work. Next would be an M4 with the same lens but minus the meter. Another non-Leica alternative that I have found excellent is the Konica Hexar RF with their 28 mm lens.

Overall, the "best" I have found, bar none, is the Konica Hexar AF, Silver or Black autofucus with the 35mm Hexar f2 lens. My experience and "Deux Sous" worth of advice. The only drawback to the Hexar AF is the relatively low maximum shutter speed of 1/250th., which limits the use of high speed film in bright light. Lens quality is absolutely first class, as is the speed and accuracy of the autofocus.

A good second hand Hexar AF is about 4-500 US. Other full auto choices I have had success with for this are Yashica T4/T5 and Ricoh GR series, actually made by Cosina. These are much less expensive. Since the advent of Digital, there have been no new film P&S cameras, and all those mentioned are no longer in production, alas.

Cheers

Cheers

Digital cameras have pretty bad shutter lag for me for street photography. I went back to film with leica M6, minilux and C3 and have been real happy with the results. It's amazing on how often people blink their eyes and my pics show everytime with digital cams.

Recently picked up an Olympus E-1. A week or so ago I posted <a href="http://

www.jimarnold.net/galleries/recent_color/"><b>this gallery</b></a> of images made with

an E-1 and the 14-54. The first three in the last row are with a Leica M. <p>

I've found the E-1 to be a pretty nice streep camea. It's very quiet and I like the 100%

viewfinder. It doesn't have shutter lag.