Has the D100 Been Discontinued?

dan_brown4

OK - now seriously:

Last year when I bought my D70 I did a good amount of research, including the comments on this board. It seemed to me that the D70 was overwhelmingly preferred over the D100 by the end of last year.

The only thing I thought was better on the D100 was the finder, but that wasn't enough to sway me to it. By this time there was little going for the D100 that wasn't trumped by the D70 and (now) the D70s.

It's my understanding that at least one new Nikon digital body will be out by the end of this year. Perhaps it will be labeled a D200? Prior speculation was that Nikon would announce a new camera on September 1, but this did not occur. The rumor mill is circulating that October will bring an announcement - we'll see. Who knows?

As a D100 owner looking to upgrade, I hope it's osoon. The D70s, although a nice camera, doesn't feel sturdy enough for daily use and the D2X is more than I need. The new 5D from Canon does look wonderful, but all these Nikon lenses I have are tough to part with. I hope Nikon releases a new body soon.

Mike, I couldn't wait either, so I looked at used D1x and Kodak DCS-760 bodies. I went with the DCS-760, bought off the 'bay for a bit under $1100 including charger and 2 battery packs. It's massive, because it's built on an F5 chassis (the D1x is built off an F100 chassis). Both of these cameras are built for pro use, and offer full support including metering with AI and AIS manual focus lenses. I find that a high quality 6 MP is sufficient for most purposes, and the fact that the D200 will likely be a $2000 camera for a while is why I pulled the trigger now on this.

The D1x body is much closer to the F5 than the F100. The top plate resembles the F100, including the controls and fixed prism. However, it has an eyepiece shutter. The vertical grip is definitely F5-style, but has a thumbwheel (the F100 has no integral grip, of course). There is a lot more metal in the frame and shell of a D1x than in an F100.

The D1x is not F5 based. They have the control layout, AND the viewfinder from the F100. The D1x uses several aspects of the F5, as well as the F100. But it is not actually based on either one - it's a unique Nikon body that takes elements of both the the F100 and the F5, as well as some that are unique, and not taken from either one.

Many Nikon (as well as Kodak and Fuji) DSLRs actually start with the entire body assemby of a different Nikon SLR (for example, the D100 starts with the N80 body, and the D70s starts with the N65 body assembly). The D1x didn't start with ANY existing Nikon body, but some subassemblies of both the F100 and F5 bodies were used. Conversely, the Kodak DCS-760 DOES start with the F5 chassis, and as a result, it is noticeably larger than the D1x, but also has all of the F5's control layout, and it uses the F5's interchangeable finders - unmodified.

Here's wishing/hoping that the rumored D200 will NOT be in the $2000 area. Competition already offers 8mp CMOS, etc. at around $1000. I'd like to see Nikon go head-to-head with the 20D in the region of $1500 or less. I've shot D70 a lot: I'm looking for lower noise (so probably CMOS), better AF accuracy (I shoot mostly 50/1.8 and 180/2.8 ED), maybe 1.3x sensor, maybe ISO 100 range...