Leica glow

mark_dizengoff

James: You got it exactly right. The glow, as is the case in most photos, is provided by the lighting. The biplane was illuminated by the setting sun as the owner, who also restored it from a basket case, was putting it away for the day. The lens was a Steinheil Culminar 85mm, f/2.8, mounted on an Exa. I also have the same lens in LTM and find them to be very good for the price.

<This is definitely caused by aspherical aborration, you tell me if it constitutes to a 'glow'

shot?>

While the effect of aspherical aborration in this shot is interesting, I don't see that it has

imparted the overall image with any kind of glow. This is a difficult topic because it is

largely subjective. That said, there certainly are images that exhibit this quality. If one

studies the history of Fine Art photography there are enough examples. At the turn of the

last century, it was a sought after effect, and lenses were produced by Pinkham and Smith

just to capture it. Look at the works of Steichen and Stieglitz. It however has never been

exclusive to Leica, or 35mm photography for that matter