come back to my first love, a Leica M. Forty years ago I had a Leica

M-3. In the last year I bought an MP LHSA, 28 mm Summicron, 35 mm

Summicron Asph, 50 mm Summicron (last one with separate hood) and a

90 mm Summicron Asph. The 35 mm and 50 mm Summicrons have snap on

lens hoods, which are nice. One lens came with UV filter which fit

under these hoods. Attempting to buy A KR 1.5 and a polarizer at

Glazier's in Seattle led no where as these filters did not fit under

the hoods. I know that Leica makes a pricey polarizer for some of

their lenses. I prefer if I can to have a set for each filter size.

Does someone make a "slim" and/or compatible filters that would fit

under these hoods? I also was thinking about a yellow-green and an

orange-red. How about a slim 46 mm for the 28 mm? Many thanks,

Ed Carmick

Edward,

I am quite sure you cannot use a Leica polarizer under a Leica hood,( I may be wrong.). I own

the latest pricey polarizer, and it is worth every penny. It has a slight recess which is a "kind

of" hood., and comes with adapter rings for 39mm & 46mm, optional 49mm, The polarizer

being "universal", it will fit all your lenses. It is made quite well, and works great. It's the

"only game in town", as far as a polarizer is concerned, (my opinion).

"Attempting to buy A KR 1.5 and a polarizer at Glazier's in Seattle led no where as these filters did not fit under the hoods."

As for the KR1.5, standard B&W filters fit under the hoods on all those lenses, the current "F-PRO MRC" are the best. Polarizers will not fit under the hoods but these lenses shouldn't flare badly so you might just take the hood off using the polarizer. The biggest issue will be determining how to set the polarizer, some people use a second filter as a viewer, with a scribe mark to calibrate it to the lens filters. Since the hood on the latest swingout polarizer will vignette a 28mm (according to Leica anyway) and there is no 55mm adaptor for it, you might be better off with the older one which is much smaller. One of the nice things about my "outdoor" outfit is that all the lenses take 39mm filters including the 13352 polarizer.

for my 35/f2 asph i use a heliopan slim circular polarizer. it fits within the stock clip-on hood. it also has markings (1 through 10) on the edge such that you align the marked 1 at 12 0' clock or 6 o' clock for maximum polarization, at 3 or 9 o'clock for less effect. it meters TTL on the m6. no problem. you just wont see the effect through the viewfinder.