W/NW Your lunchtime pics...

terry_rory

After all the talk about the digital Ricoh GR1 lately, I decided to give my Canon S70 a spin. (It has been gathering dust lately.)

So Ben got very close with his... "limitless DOF" and reference to the Canon Elph. (One of the unlikeable things about digi P&S)

As for a pic having anything "written all over it" (especially digital) I should point out that my digital and film results have often been confused (even by me!) including the Bessa/Leica stuff. Anything that doesn't have dust or scratches is suspected of being digital.

John did you watch the Argentina match at the 'Mucky Duck'? (White Swan)

No, I did not use the Fuji Natura 24mm this time. I had the Contax 167MT/Planar in the same bag but it is hardly 'discrete' so it stayed in the bag.

Trevor,

I upgraded my Canon A80 to A95 about six months ago; same form, fit, and function but with 5 megs and a larger viewing screen. I can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series which will reportedly have about 7 megs. Since you are a former A80 owner, I would be interested in your impressions of handling and photo quality of the S70 vs. the A80.

To head off complaints about OT, let me say that I am an avid LTM user, one IIIf RD, and two IIIc's with an assortment of Leica lenses. Even when I am out and about with these treasures, I always take along the Canon A95 to indulge my addiction to instant gratification, which to me is the primary advantage of digital. I suspect I am not alone in this regard. The A95 also provides a sanity check on exposure settings.