Al Kaplan continued....who loves you, baby?!

I like the 7:57 City Council shot. It seems like you're shooting a

subject of more substantial interest here, with you more the

bystander.

There's way too much compression on these jpgs that's the

cause of so much noise/distortion in the images.

I like these pictures. I'm one of the people that find Al's egotism a bit tiresome

from time to time, but here it's become a positive force. Every photographer

needs a subject that they believe in and feel passionate about to produce

good work, and finally Al's found that subject.

Al

is there any way to get a filter onto this lens without a 'contraption' on the front. I'm

thinking perhaps some orange/yellow gel scissored to the size of the rear element and

tacked to it somehow, before being fixed to the camera...

or do I need to do my old cl workaround and hold a nikon filter over the lens. steve

ps: probably need a hasselblad filter fo this thing!!!

Ray, Councilman Galvin Emailed for permission to to use the photo in his monthly newsletter, possibly with a link and of course credit. I've been doing his campaign photography for several years.

Boris, the whole ego thing is part of the act, just like my posing and facial expresions. I really don't spend 78.3 percent of my time with a frown on my face blowing smoke, trying to look "normal" to the world at large with one arm stuck straight out, camera in hand. I also don't usually keep my hair that neatly brushed.

Ben, the contact sheets might be an interesting idea. I'll talk with Diana about it.

Steve, I unscrewed the 15 from the camera and looked at the rear. I think that a little square of gelatin filter could be held in place with a couple of little pieces of masking tape top and bottom. Ideal would be a clamp-on rear gel filter holder. Is there anybody reading this that's set up to make them?

"Every photographer needs a subject that they believe in and feel passionate about to produce good work, and finally Al's found that subject."

That reminds me of Woody Allen's famous comment about masturbation... at least you're having sex with someone you love. ;>)

What's funny though is that when you get to know Al better (through private communications) you discover that he's really a humble guy... which makes the seeming self-grandizement even funnier.

Anyway... keep up the series, Al. They're great.

Except, I'd still like to see "Al goes to the zoo"... :>)

Al,

I love your attitude, life style, and photos. It reminds me of a line from a Dan Jenkins novel: "I was doing three of my favorite things, smoking, drinking, and not giving a sh*t".

You have reached a stage in life where you can fully do the same.

Keep up the good work

<i>I've heard countless successful photographers asked the question "what's your favourite subject?". Though I've never heard one reply "myself."</i>

long long history in painting of self portraits...fail to get the narcissistic connection

For anyone who hasn't seen them, check out Martin Parr's self-portraits taken in photo booths and shops around the world. Or Cindy Sherman's early video stills. I don't get the feeling Al has any critical intent behind what he's doing, which is fine, but I do think you're a bit off the mark here, Celia.

Ben, I made up an extra set of contact sheets of the last two rolls that I shot with the 15 for Diana to scan and post. I had less good shots than normal, kept missing my framing because I spent Monday with my friend Jon Sinish who was in town for the day. I'm 6'3" and he's a dwarf a wee bit over 4 ft. tall. Trying to stay in the picture, get him in the frame, and not end up with crazy tilted horizons was a challenge. I outlined my initial selection with red marker but still haven't picked out my final choices.

I'm sorry that there are a few of you that think I'm a comlete ego maniac. If you read the number of pro vs. con posts here, read my email (all positive) or saw the live reaction around town here in North Miami it should be pretty obvious that I'm not the only one having a good time with the project. When I started shooting the pix I figured it would begin and end with posting a few photos just one time. Locally, everybody from city officials to the kids at Starbucks tune in to photo.net to see who's the latest to get in a photo. I get encouraged by viewers from Canada, Japan, Australia, and elsewhere. You detractors will just have to put up with it awhile longer because there's not yet enough photos for a book. Sorry.

Perhaps what irks some people is that I have four M bodies, 21 to 135mm Leitz lenses plus an 85/2 LTM Nikkor, Visoflex II-S with 65 to 400mm glass, and a CL with a 40, and I'm doing this project with Vogtlander lens on the bottom of the line plastic bodied Bessa L, an under $500 set-up, shooting out of date film. I'm thinking about trying the 15 on the CL for a few rolls and see if the ergonomics for one hand shooting are better or worse. I know that an M body is just too heavy for constant use the way I'm shooting these shots.