What would make a great gift for a Canon user?

vincent_forrester1

Hi,

I was thinking of putting this in the 'equipment' forum but I thought

that I would get more people visiting here, and well, it is EOS

related (sort of!)

It is a slightly unusual request but hopefully it's different (in a

good way) to the stuff you guys are used to and I'm sure you will be

able to help me. It requires a bit of thought but nothing too

complicated and it shouldn't start any heated debates ;)

Okay, here goes:

My girlfriend Kate is obsessed with photography and her birthday +

our anniversary is coming up and I need to get her something camera

related. Do you know of something I can get her that is not already

on the following list ?

(note that items that are slightly similar WILL NOT be needed. For

example, she has a 580 EX flash. Therefore she won't be needing

things directly related to it such as a flash bracket or a

reflector. Another example, she has a 1.4x TC therefore please do

not suggest a 2x TC. She seems to have her focal lengths from 16mm

right up to 400mm+ (via 1.4 TC + 70-200) covered so I think a lens is

pretty much out of the question)

I am trying to find something fairly different/unique. I hope she

isn't a reader of this site! Otherwise it will spoil it)

This is a list of what she ALREADY has:

2 x 20D Bodies + Grip

EOS 5 (hardly ever gets used now)

Canon F1 + lenses

EF 100MM Macro 2.8 USM

EF-S 10-22mm USM

EF-S 17-85mm IS

EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS

MP-E65mm Macro f2.8

A fast (f1.4 I think) prime. I think its a 50mm or a 35mm - not sure.

580 EX Flashgun

Plent of CF Cards

Lowepro Computatrekker Backpack

Lowpro Topload Zoom bag (for Camera + one lens)

Graphics tablet

Ef 1.4x TC

Ixus 700 P&S (a.k.a SD500 to our american friends)

External Hard drive 80GB

20D spare Batteries

PS CS software

Tripod + Head

Binoculars

Cases, various filters, hoods, cleaning stuff etc. for ALL the above.

She shoots all sorts of stuff but mainly portraits + landscapes and

sometimes urban/street photos.

Is there anything that I can get her that is not too similar/related

to any of the above ?

There is no price limit so you can let your imaginations go wild but

try keeping it a little realistic!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Thank you

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vincent, I know you are speaking of equipment but how about a one-to-one course with a well-known photographer? Or a photographic holiday for the two of you? There are some fantastic packages out there for any destination in the world. Or a signed print by a major photographer ... I know kit is key but since she already has so much maybe thinking a little laterally might help.

Hello Vinny!

Good question. Nice to have a light-hearted post from time to time. You got me concentrating for a full 10 mins - way more than what my brain is designed for :)

I see your gf has a SD500. How about getting her an U/W housing ? I did a search and the model you should be after is the WPDC70 - they go for around $200 or so. Judging by the price, I reckon they seem to be fairly good quality. Plus, the SD500 has custom WB so I don't see any reason why it couldn't cope for some u/w 'snaps'. Good luck and let us know what you went for in the end.

Hi Federica + Sonny + anyone else who manages to squeeze in a post before I get this one in. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Federica, we don't really have any photographic heroes as such. Though, there are many, many photographers on here whose portfolios are simply amazing. I guess some of them are my heroes. I like the sound of a holiday though!

And Sonny, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of something similar but wasn't sure if it was available. Now I do. Cheers!

There are a variety of small, battery-powered portable storage drives on the market for $200-500. Epson P2000 or the Eastgear PD70X. She can put it in her pocket and use it for backing up photos in the field.

I also like the idea of a photo vacation, but you'll need to find something that would also interest you. Maybe a photo cruise vacation.

It looks like she is pretty well set up. One thing she might like is PS CS2. There is enough of a difference that a serious photographer would really appreciate. I owned PS 7 and used CS in a photography class. Once I saw the new features in CS2 I had to have it. You could get the upgrade for about 149.00. Its well worth it. Get her that with the book from adobe total training it has a video on cd "total training video workshop" in the back showing the new features. After I watched that cd I went out and bought CS2 that day.

It looks like she has most things covered from that list. The only addition I can think of is the Anglefinder C, to use with the macro lenses. I use one a lot with macro and telephoto lenses.

You don't mention what tripod it is, if it's not a carbon fibre one, how about a lighter tripod?

And what about the printer, assuming she uses one, could that do with an upgrade.

Hi people.

Wow! you guys are quick. Sorry, I forgot to add she already has a Canon A3 i9550 printer. I was thinking about the Epson P2000 a while back but completely forgot about it - thanks for reminding me! you guys are coming out with some seriously good ideas. The holiday + u/w housing + p2000 all go together wonderfully!

To the gentleman who mentioned the Alien bees light - Great Idea. However, I think this one may be one for the future. Studio stuff IMO I think, takes a more patient , calmer approach. We are currently at the 60's go out and shoot, 'be free', hippy stage in out photography lives, rather than be stuck indoors setting up lights. Hope that makes sense. But a great suggestion, thanks!

Also to the suggestion of CS2, She and I are still struggling with CS! but CS2 will definately be an option later on.

Hopefully the p2000 comes down in price once the p4000 is out. 5D ? No way! Apart from the full frame (and therefore larger VF) there is nothing I like about it for the huge amount of money it costs. The 5D, IMHO is way too overpriced for the DIFFERENCE it will bring us compared to our current set up. I may upgrade her EF-S 17-85 IS (one she uses most) to either a 24-70 L or 24-105 L - I know the difference won't be huge but I know she will be VERY happy with one of those.

Hey, I forgot to tell you. She has a 3rd party anglefinder too - which is pretty much the same as Canon's angle finder C except a lot cheaper. I remember she got it when her back was aching from all the lying down + crawling she was doing with her macro lenses! I've just realised, the woman's got too much gear! (well i guess it is 'our' gear..sort of. )

Hey Conrad (cool name). She's pretty indecisive and so I have to make the decisions. If I get gift vouchers then I will be going back to square one. Plus I would need a heck a lot of vouchers as it's our anniversary + her b'day). As far as courses etc., she along with me, we don't really like to be taught. Rather prefer to 'find out' on our own but obviously pick up tips/techniques from you guys + friends along the way. As she and I finished our studies only 3 years ago - we (I think i can speak for her) don't want to go back to that studying/classroom, online courses etc.. situation (have had enough of it!) But thanks for the info!

Hi Vincent,

How about a rangefinder camera ? Many SLR users also use rangefinders for different purposes such as street shooting or just a smaller camera that is brilliant for having in the bag all the time without the bulk and weight. And incredibly brilliant optics that will take your breath away ?

Check out the Voigtlander lines of cameras such as the R2A or R3A plus a whole range of excellent lenses. Or if your budget is higher, I could not recommend a Leica M6, M7 or MP more highly.....and the lenses available for these cameras are just bewildering.....the optics is even more stunning ! The other alternative is the newly released Zeiss Ikon rangefinder. If she is interested only in a digital version, try the Epson RD-1 rangefinder camera.

Just a warning though, once you start playing with rangefinder cameras for a while, it can become an unhealthy obsession ! Hehehe !

Very interesting...

Anyone here able to RECOMMEND any helpful stores in London that sell Rangefinder cameras? Call me paranoid but I am 28 years old and (unfortunately in this case) when I go to some stores they don't really help me as much as I have seen them help other older people, because (I think) I just look like a teenager to them!

Hi Vincent,

I am in Australia, so I am unfamiliar with any stores in the UK, but if you post a question asking about good stores in the UK, in Photo Net's Leica Forum, you will get some great recommendations there, I am sure. As with the EOS forum, the people are extremely helpful, and knowledgeable.

Cheers,

Wee-Ming

"either a 24-70 L or 24-105 L - I know the difference won't be huge but I know she will be VERY happy with one of those."

I'd suggest one of those two, and especially since she already has a 10-22, the difference *is* huge IMO.

Since I got the 24-105, I have not used the 17-85. I still use the 24-70 when f/2.8 is more important than IS.

One thing is don't see on this list is a light meter. What about a Sekonic L-508? Good for portraits or the outdoorsy stuff. I know my photography got much better once I stopped using only the onboard meters. Just a thought...my wife would probably like the photo safari or romantic trip to somewhere with good photo ops. Good luck.