Why I chose a D50 (for those thinking of buying this camera)

Karim Ghantous

After much reading on DPReview.com and much thinking, I purchased a D50.

<br /><br />

The runner-up was the Pentax *istDL which costs significantly less.

Now, I am biased towards Nikon but the DL has compelling value so it

was a hard choice. And I think I'll be almost as happy with a brand

new D50 as I would with a used Fuji S2.

<br /><br />

The major question I asked myself was this: if I were a professional

would I use this camera? For both the Pentax and the Nikon the answer

was 'yes'. This goes to show how much better the 'consumer' level DSLR

is to the equivalent 35mm model.

<br /><br />

This is a point worth repeating: a professional can be happy with a

consumer-level DSLR, but not so with a consumer-level 35mm SLR.

<br /><br />

So my AI-S lenses won't allow the camera to meter. That's true but not

a deal-breaker. And thank goodness for the histogram.

<br /><br />

For the record, the Pentax had a slightly better viewfinder; I prefer

CF cards to SD and if I could afford a D70S I'd have bought that

instead; the Pentax was small but not uncomfortable; the kit lenses on

these cameras both suck <em>and</em> blow; according the DPReview's

tests, the D50 has better noise characteristics than the DL (however

the DL goes to ISO 3200); long exposure performance on both cameras is

excellent.

<br /><br />

You might want to have a look through DPReview's piece on the <a

href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/">D50</a>.

<br /><br />

I'll post some further impressions later on for those who may be

considering this as their next camera.

"Most professional photographers are not that well off."

The last pro I saw had a brand new Porsche 4x4 SUV, 2 Hasselblads, at least one with digital back connected to a laptop, a portable generator, computerised lighting, 2 assistants, a Fuji 617 rig, a couple of Nikon DSLRs with massive lenses (not sure what they were but they had lenshoods the size of waste paper baskets) and was 'busy' watching his flunkeys put out 'rails' on the grass upon which a specially adapted aluminium ladder could be connected and moved along.

He was doing a shoot, for a local free newspaper, about village life, as a present for a friend, unpaid. I dread to think what he would charge if it were not a present.

I have a D70 and D70s used for weddings etc.

I think its greatest weekness is the CF card which is linked to the camera with vunerable pins. I bent one onece.

If I were buying now, I would buy the D50 because of the cards. DOF button has not been all that important in my three decades of shootng. I can visualize the DOF and the D70, D50's viewfinders are not all tha tgood to use it well.

Errol

Errol and Michael, while I do find a DOF button essential for many things, I didn't mean my statement quite literally. I only wanted to point out the general status of the D50 as a coolpix killer rather than a serious SLR, given the level of features other manufacturers are starting to offer for about the same price. I am also wondering about Karim's other statement: <p><i>This is a point worth repeating: a professional can be happy with a consumer-level DSLR, but not so with a consumer-level 35mm SLR.

</i><p>What can a D50 do that couldn't be done with an N75, N80 - let alone N90s and not considering MF bodies? With film cameras an N75 and an F5 with the same lens and film can be made to give exactly the same image quality.<p>-A

Trevor, You are an inspiration!

Karim, If the D50 has the same quality low pass filter as the D70, it would make a swell camera for UV and IR. Non-metering AI/AIS lenses is not a bother in such cases. Only step up to this choice would be a Mamiya ZD which is a lot more expensive.

What color camera did you choose?

the porsche might be a lease with very high interest rate and the equipments rented; and he owes his friend big time :-)

most pro photogs are artists. and 75% of real artists are poor.

maybe 80% of photo hobbyists are rich, but maybe only 50% know how to take good pictures.

to some artists, a d50 or even a coolpix 5900, is a priceless gem and they will run circles (in some situations)around d2x and the likes)users.

i guess the fun of photography is your preferences in equipments and subjects; the depth of your pocket, yes; and to be in the nikon forum that will help make it more fun......let us help each one.

Most pro's aren't artists. And the few who are often make their living doing PJ, Wedding or commercial photography. Art doesn't pay unless you are really successful. Portrait, commercial, PJ and Wedding work pays much better, and most working pro's do that instead of Art photography.

And on a related note, most painters paint houses, not paintings.

The d.o.f. can be previewed on the D50 or any Nikon without a d.o.f. button by just pressing the lens lock and turning the lens toward the unlock a little (not enough so it falls off). So that's not a deal-breaker. I would have considered a D50 to use with the number of Nikkor lenses I got at an estate sale, except that a Canon dSLR with an adaptor still has a meter than functions. To me having to pull a handheld meter out of my pocket, take a reading, put the meter back, then set the exposure, is a lot slower than turning the f-stop ring a few clicks before pressing the shutter release. If I had only AF Nikon lenses I might still be thinking about the D50.

Karim,<br>

<br>

The price of the D50 and D70 body only at B&H Photo is $750.00.

The kits run $900.00 and $1,050.00 respectively. Since you state

that AIS lenses arent a problem there is no reason why you

should not have bought the D70 even if you could not finance the

additional $150.00.<br>

<br>

Your post is full of questions and answers stated as facts

without support, logical or otherwise. Moreover your facts are

not. I hope you enjoy your camera but what youve written

here is less than rationalization.<br>

<br>

Good luck, have fun,

In Australia the difference is more than $100 - that's why I chose the D50.

I agree that two or three cheaper bodies for a PJ is better than one F5 or F6.

Consumer 35mm SLRs have lower flash sync speeds (for those who care). The light meter on the D50 is better than the F55 and F65 (and maybe the F75). Performance at higher ISO ratings is better on the D50 than on 35mm film. And a digital camera records exposure information saving you the effort of writing it down. The F55, F65 and F75 have a top shutter speed of 1/2000 where the D50 has 1/4000.