Took a look at a Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX today.

terry_rory

But I could not go through with it. It felt so horribly plastic in a

really tacky way. It bore no comparison to the build and feel of the

18-70mm AF-S (itself a budget consumer 'kit' lens).

I dont care if it is an optical marvel if it feels like I am

scratching nails down a chalkboard every time I used it.

I will spend the same money on a used Contax 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar for my

film camera instead. The D70 will have to wait for a telephoto until

another day.

too bad it's slow too...I want a 50-150 f 2.8.

with my film cam's it was great to have two f2.8 zooms covering the range, the 28-70 and 80-200, but with DX and an owner of the 17-55, I want the overlap of a 50-150 now. anyone know of another wonderful DXzoom coming around the corner?

Hi Eric,

you forgot to mention the 80-200 2.8. Its a excellent lens and costs only half the price of the 70-200 AFS VR. O.k., it lacks VR and AFS.

May be, one day Nikon makes a 70-200 4 VR AFS. That's what I want. The gap between 55 and 70 doesn't hurt me. You get it with one step back or forward.

Best wishes,

Axel

Nikon has too many DSLRs now with slow, whiny, crappy AF that really need lenses with AF-S motors. As such, this Eric has drawn a line in the sand. I'm not going to buy another Nikon lens that lacks an AF-S focus motor. There is simply no reason for Nikon not to include such a motor on every one of its lenses.

And screw having to buy a 24mm f/2.0 AIS lens to get decent wide angle and speed or buying some other AIS lens and having to have it chipped. Nikon needs to start producing a full line of lenses that are completely compatible with Nikon's current DSLRs.

"Eric, Don't wait around, find an used 50-135 f/3.5 AIS zoom."

Vivek, I'd love that lens, but it wont work with my sound blimp.

I think Nikon has the ability now, with DX lenses to make fast 3x zooms. The 50-150 would be sooo niceeee!

I can't agree enough. I don't want a 70-200 on my D70. A 50-150/2.8 or thereabouts is a much more useful FL range, IMHO. And yes, USM and VR is a must.

In general, at this point in time, I don't think Nikon is doing a very good job of producing good lenses for the APS-C sensor to which they are so commited. It's one here, one there, some low end consumer zooms. Hell, this is supposed to be a "system camera" - well, then Nikon has to round out the system.

What I specificially want is:

- A superb, fast 30-35/1.4 with USM and VR. The DX lens system deserves a fast, dedicated normal, and the VR with help with hand holding at 1.4 and slow shutter speeds. And damn it, I want good bokeh and an MTF akin to a Summicron. I'm a big fan of the normal prime lens, and the Nikon DX lineup deserves a world beater.

- A "world class" (think 105/2.5 and 105/2) portrait length lens in the 60-70mm range. This would offer a 90-105 equiv. DX. With the 105's such an historical "flagship" prime in Nikon's lineup, they really need to offer a DX equivalent. In portraiture, working distance matters, and using the 85/1.4 or 105/2 on a DX body just doesn't cut it. Again, give us USM (convenient manual focus is key on a portrait lens) and VR (for handheld portraiture).

- The already mentioned 50-135 or 50-150 or even 50-200/2.8 ED USM VR. Again, the short-to-mid tele range zoom has been a staple of the Nikon lens lineup. We need a direct equivalent in the new DX lens lineup.

I have to the 12-24, and it's "ok". I haven't really thought about excellent wide primes I'd like to see for the DX lineup, but I imagine with a little thought I could rant a bit here as well ;-)

Scott