one?); use my savings to send

the lens in for polishing and

recoating; or return it and keep

on with the valient search? Any

suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben Shapiro

Ben,

Did the the D Xenotar have coating? I thought that coatings were relatively new - only on the Fs and the current GX? It could be that all your lens needs is a good clean. Also, if the lens is sharp, and a hood does help control flare, what's the worry? Maybe the next step should be to buy (or temporarily construct from black card) a lens hood and see if flare is still a problem.

In my earlier days I had several lenses that were less than virginal, yet they still produced crisp images, which is what counts unless pride-of-ownership is your thing. Don't give up on it yet.

Ken

I would experiment more with the lens and see if you can get satisfactory results from it. I used to have a Rollie E3 and did not realize how good it was till I traded it in on another camera. Now I find myself wishing I had found some way to afford keeping it.<p>

I believe that the Rollies are all coated from sometime in the 1950s on.<p>

I have used uncoated and single coating lenses to very good effect. My own (unqualified) observation is that only lenses that have a lot of air to glass surfaces or a lot of elements really suffer greatly from lack of coatings. I have gotten good results from a Goerz lens that is probably almost 60 years old; it certainly had no coatings.<p>

Get a lens shade of some kind and try again.<p>

I have never had a lens repolished but have read that it never really works very well. Can anyone shed light on that?<p>

I say; keep the Rollie and try more photography, perhaps with different films and developers.

IMHO $300 for a 2.8D with a lens that has more than virtually invisible coating damage is ridiculous. And forget about finding an element or having the front element polished and recoated; you could buy a brand-new 2.8GX for less than it'd cost to have that done properly.

I'd return the camera if possible.

Good Rolleis at reasonable prices abound on ebay and from many other sources; no need to accept a damaged one.

In case you decide you want to have the lens examined/corrected, the name of the following guy has been mentioned on some of the newsgroups. I've not used him myself, so take this with a grain or two of nacl.

Mr. John Van Stelten, Focal Point, 1017 S. Boulder Rd., Suite E-1, Louiseville, Colorado 80027. Phone: (303) 665-6640 Fax: (303) 665-3803.

Hope this helps.