Problem With Minolta 5400 II

Hello,

I have new Minolta Elite 5400II scanner and I found on almost every

picture scanned from negative film some horizontal darker (looks to

me like dark yellow or something) color bands.

Sample at http://www.tpresident.cz/pic1.jpg (150k)

Same sample with highlighted areas with color bands

http://www.tpresident.cz/pic1_selection.jpg

Please, does anybody know what might be the cause of this problem?

I've also tried scanning some slides with perfect results and no

color bands.

Tested with Silverfast, Vuescan and Minolta SW, all the same.

Thanks

Radovan

I have the same problem. It seems - all my slides are clean, too! - that the scanner is very sensitive to little imperfections in C-41 process, possibly too short final wash or fixing bath. I hope so :) - if not, the second unit goes back to manufacturer - first one had random problems with initialization :(((

This sure looks like a calibration problem as sometimes could be seen with fluorecent tube

scanners where the lamp was unevenly lit. The CCD should linearize all its pixels to the

light source during startup. Did a recalibration after warm-up help? Not only the lamp has

to warm up (not in your case though as the 5400II has LEDs), but also the CCD will vary in

output when it warms up from using it. (Also read this page for some more information:

http://www.scanhancer.com/index.php?art=2&men=3 )

The fact that you don't see this problem with slide scans is because in order to show a

nicely contrasted image from the flat negative the contrast curves are very steep on a neg.

A slide doesn't need that amount of added contrast. When you would alter a slide with a

lot of contrast you would probably get to see the same banding. For real life use with

slides it is no issue though.

I think in my case banding is much less pronounced, but still exsists. I've darkened the photo a little to make it more visible - the light part is automatic scan from Fuji Superia 200.

Thats strange, because the probem only shows on large, blue areas of colour negative. The semi-transparent leader of b&w film, scanned as colour negative, is clear - although i've gave it very strong contrast curve.<div>00DSTP-25521984.jpg.85a22dee590016cad14eeb9bfe912887.jpg</div>

If the processed on a roller transport or other continuous process (ie minilab machine), that's almost certainly the problem.

If it was dip-and-dunk or stainless reel, processing was not the problem.

The poor results typical of plastic reels look different.

It has nothing to do with the scanner, imo.

... I think processing machinery was poorly maintained.

If it was a professional machine (ie dip/dunk) or stainless reel there would have been no such problem, even if chemistry was bad ( perhaps other problems, but not Radovan's).

Thanks everyone for your answers,

ALKOS: yes, thats the same band as in my pictures. Yours looks to be almost invisible, I guess you are more lucky than I am :)

I've done some more research and it seems to be some trouble with scanner itself, because I've done recalibration and tried several types of film processed in 3 different labs and bands are vidible in all of them. It is most visible on a light blue sky or grey clouds.

IMHO, if it would be some problem on film, bands should be in the same area of frame regardless of film orientation in holder. So I turned film upside down and position of bands in picture did changed. They are in exactly same place of scanned picture in both cases.

http://www.tpresident.cz/pic1.jpg

http://www.tpresident.cz/pic1_upsidedown.jpg

I went to vendor and tried scanning on another 5400 II, and it's still there although it's less noticable.

It looks to me that this problem is presented more or less in every 5400 II.

I wonder if Nikon Coolscan V is capable to scan without these bands.

I have never experienced bands with Nikon V.

However, conditions that I can't closely define seem related to small intrustions from the side (perhaps .5-2mm into 18mm dimension)..there was a thread about this six months ago in which I first doubted this really happened, then found it bu chance using film similar to that of the thread.

This appears like a reflection in extreme contrast areas, perhaps adjacent dark and light near the edge of the frame. Maybe it's a color issue rather than density. It does move if the film is reoriented, so it's not a film flaw. I've not seen it more than a few times in hundreds of scans of all sorts of film... so unusual that I've simply ignored it. I don't think it's an optical phenomenon, I think it's digital, fwiw.