marknagel

I got asked to take photos for my niece's homecoming dance (pre

dance photos) of her and 3 other couples. I have little-to-no

experience with wedding/social photagraphy. Does anyone have a link

for sample poses to make things flow? I searched, but looking for a

bit more than I found.

Thanks,

Mark

Pretty simple and straight forward portraits, I would do singles, couples, and a few candids of the couples just hanging-out. I don't know about your area but around here alot of the kids get a garter and expect a garter detail shot and sequence with the guy "adjusting" the garter. You'll also probably get an opportunity to do a few limo shots as well. Alot of the basic poses and approaches used for weddings should translate well to your situation. Also, ask the kids if they've got some expectations/ideas. I would also use a portable backdrop.

Mark,

I did the very same thing for my niece and nephew in 2004. We had a lot of fun! It was raining that day...off and on...so I pre-arranged the groups inside the house and told them to remember their places and when the rain stopped we were going to run outside...shoot, shoot, shoot and then back in... it was sort of like a "keystone cop" game! They were ALL for it. I got groups, individuals, couples and candids (and did a little PS artsy stuff on a few of them). The "groups" were fun...I basically let them do "what-ever", but suggested a few of the poses...like "group hugs" for close-ups. If you want to see a few them, go to www.previewgallery.com/innervisionstudio. It's only a proof site (no website yet). I'll load it under "Portraits" and just click on PROM. I'll leave it up for just a few days.<div>00Dl2m-25923684.jpg.fd183c46c7db607a82013bbf7581b76b.jpg</div>

Mark,

Sorry for the late post, I just got back out here after a very busy weekend. My daughter asked me to do the same thing this year. We were going to go to a lovely location outside for pre-homecoming pics, but remnants of Hurricane Rita changed our mind. Instead, one of the moms "donated" her house for me to use. They wanted "formal" portraits like the ones they were going to get at the dance, but wanted me to do them because they liked my work better.<br><br>

So I quickly set up a studio setting with lights, etc. to create a formal setting. Then just took some "fun" stuff afterwards. Nothing fancy.<br><br>

Here is the entire shoot...<br><br>

<a href="http://posterperfect.smugmug.com/gallery/833188" >CHS Homecoming 2005</a><br><br>

Hope this helps a little.<br><br>

Jim<div>00DlMa-25935184.jpg.d425182ca3666050485983787679bf21.jpg</div>