Canon 350 d Skateboarding

dazftw

I need to know what other equipment (lenses flash etc) would be

handy for shooting skate photos that are compatible with the 350d ?

I dont need any professional equipment as i will only be shooting

friends just something that will make them look good

How good are they and where are you shooting? If they aren't good, stand back for your own safety and use a moderate zoom. (24-85,28-105,28-135) If they're good, get closer and shoot on the wider end of the 18-55, 17-40, or 17-85.

Outdoor skate park in the middle of the day? You won't need a flash. Indoors or early evening, you'll need a flash. Otherwise you should pickup the 420EX, 550EX, or 580EX. Stopping that much motion can be tricky.

If you haven't already, start flipping through Transworld to get an idea about how other photographers are looking at skaters. Steal ideas without remorse.

A whole lot of professional skateboard photography is done with a wireless flash system and a fisheye lens - often shot very close to the skater. The flash is used even in daytime conditions, since it gives the rider a little "pop" that helps them stand out from the background.

If you're looking to replicate this on the cheap, you could probably get some pretty decent results with third party gear. Check out one the zenitar or peleng 8mm 180 degree fisheye lenses - they would require that you manually prefocus and stop down the aperture, but they're really the only way to get that ultrawide fisheye look under $300. For flashes you could pick up some manual hotshoe flashes off ebay for $50 or $100 each, get one with a PC socket and run some cable to a Nikon hotshoe PC Sync adapter. It would take some real experimentation to get good exposure, since all the settings would be manual, but with some persistence and creativity you could get great results.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

Well there not pro but there pretty good at times i have been shooting pictures of them with a normal point and shoot for a couple of months and had no accidents. So you think the kit lense 18-55 would be would be suitable on the wider end what would be the highest you could go do you know and do you think the 420 ex flash would work fine

being into skating, and skate photography, i can offer some help<br>

you'll want a fisheye, you wont get the full effect on a 350d, <br>

but you can still get super close<br>

probably the wireless transmitter, and 3 550ex's for good lighting<br>

two aimed on the skater, one behind him, or whatever configuration<br>

that tickles your fancy<br>

asides from the fisheye, i'd recommend the 28-70L, 70-200L(F4 or F2.8)<br>

with all that, i think you'd be set!<br>

its a lot of gear, yes, but it's what i would work with.

i have a fair bit of knowledge at low-end skateboarding photography.... seeing as you have a 350d after moving up from point and shoot, my first piece of advice is become familiar to the camera... understand all the settings and get used to using MANUAL.

Try not to spend too much money on equipment up until you know the camera a bit more...

Skateboarding photography usually involves a fisheye and external flashes.

As for lenses, the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the 350d is fine... If you do want to buy another lens, I highly recommend the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II. This lens is good quality for price and is probably one of my most used lenses.

There is no full frame fisheye for the 350d (or any 1.6x Canon Digital SLR's) ... so if you want a fisheye for the 350d you will have to go with the Sigma 8mm or Peleng 8mm. - The problem is, these lenses will give you vignetting - black areas in the corner of your image. This vignetting isn't very visually appealing so you should become familiar with Adobe Photoshop or other imaging programs to "clone" or "crop" these areas out.

Flash wise, because you are only starting out I wouldn't buy anymore than 1 flash for now. Get yourself a cheap but decent flash (Sunpak 555 is fairly good for the job, or even a Vivitar 285 or something).

One you have purchased this, you can place it off the camera to create some interesting lighting.

The 350D does not have a "PC Sync Terminal" so you will have to attatch a PC Sync Hotshoe adapter -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=227625&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

This will go on the top of the camera and allow your flash to be connected via an extension sync cable (directly).

You may also choose to use an "optical slave". This optical slave connects to your flash and will Fire the flash at the same time your inbuilt flash goes off.

I believe that the information I have provided above is adequate for a learner that doesn't want to spend too much money. I hope it makes sense.... Enjoy shooting!

- Chris

the zenitar full frame fisheye is manual but works nicly! I use a 350D and have the zenitar... while the "fisheye" effect is somewhat subdude, it will still look better than a straight shot from 50MM... (fisheye wise)...keep in mind that is if you can get close enough. Something else you might wanna try if you need the fisheye look, Photoshop CS2 has a filter effect that emulates the fisheye look rather nicly as long as you dont over do it. And older canon 35MM rebels can be had on ebay at great prices.. you could use the fisheye at its full advantage with one and still shoot everything else on digital!

just a thought!

-ZACKER-

yeah im surprised only one person said fisheye. sigma 15mm fisheye is the biz. its around 300 brittish pounds, its not that cheap, but you get very good quality for the price, only thing on a 1.6x crop its not as fishy as a 1.3 or full frame, but still better than normal i reckon.

my 2 pence

;)

• 2 years later...