Soo... Why should we hire you?

photoreu

We are middle of the road price-wise for this area. But hope to work my way up to the higher end jobs someday.

Talent being equal, sometimes it's all about perception. I've set a goal to try and be "world class" in every aspect of my business. I use the best promotional material I can afford. I drive my wife's new car to jobs rather than my truck. We try to always dress nicely and make a good appearance.

My second shooter/assistant and I have matching camera bags. We have identical gear. We do our best to be professional in all our contacts with clients.

We are polite to wedding guests and family. We always make a small gift to the B&G. We deliver more than we promise.

I don't know if it will elevate us to the next level, but we try to conduct ourselves as though we are already there!

Mark,

I think your positive attitude and approace is commentable and we should all follow your example.

What kind of gift do you give to the bride and groom? I had never thought of doing that.

Do you have any photos you can share? I personally love to see what others are photographing.

My sister paid $4,000 for her photographer. Most of her shots were out of focus, he took forever to do the formals and...everyone liked my pictures better. Just a thought.

PS- I think aside from a good portfolio, personality is a huge part to getting clients to hire you.....WHY?...Because we like you!!!

I swear its the only reason I have my upcoming first job.

Todd, as a rule we will give the B&G something little like a framed photo from the engagement shoot or wedding. Sometines a couple will ask for some small extra service and we will do it at no charge and just say it is our gift.

By the way, I would like to stress that we endevor to be world class. We have a long way to go. lol

<i>"Thank all of you here for your suggestions on using available light with digital ..."</i>

<p>

if that includes me, Todd, you're more than welcome. art or not, i think it's a wonderful shot -- the curiosity on the face of the child and the wistfulness on the part of her grandfather. i see detail in both the dark suit and the white shirt. and, the skin tones look more natural to me than the vast majority of flash-illuminated shots i have ever seen. i don't see any blown highlights, noise in the shadows, or anything "plastic" or "video" about it. personally, i would use the "healing brush" or "clone stamp" in Photoshop to remove the ceiling light above the gentletman's head. but, otherwise, i can't see how any amount of money spent on top-of-the-line equipment, or film, would have improved this picture. and, i think flash would almost certainly have detracted from it.

<p>

looking at this picture, and having looked at your portfolio here at PN, if you would like to move up to higher paying clients (though, it's not clear to me that you would), i think you need only increase your fees.

<p>

Gaetano,

Yes, that does include you. A while back I asked about available light wedding photography and samples, and all of those who responded helped me greatly.

Also, thank you for the positive feedback on the photo. The Available light worked like a charm, even in the church, handheld. I do use the cloning tool frequently, and I will also remove the cold sore next to gramp's mouth. I like to do what I can to clean up a photo a bit as long as it's not faked.

I don't have any wedding photos on photo.net as yet and I should post some. I keep them all on PBase, but I'm about a year behind in updating it. I'll get some on PN soon. What I have on the PN Gallery is my artsie stuff, much of which is very old.

Thanks again.

Michelle,

Over the years I made many different types of pinhole cameras from 4x5 to 35mm. I want to try it now with digital...use a body cap, cut a hole in it, and put the brass pinhole over the body cap. I havent do it yet.

The one pinhole I like the best is made by Randy Smith using a Holga camera...the "PinHolga"...look here: http://www.holgamods.com/

I don't have any single plan for this but I do know how to drill holes in thin brass sheets with a needle, though not too precisely.

If you want to get into Pinhole photography, type in "pinhole cameras" on Google and you will come up with hundreds of well established sites that will give you info on either buying or making these cameras.

There's even an International Pinhole Photography Day in april when pinholers all over the world take photos at the same time (day) and then share the results.

Check it out.

Mark, I also try to add a few extras: A framed 8x10 for the reception or a few extra enlargements, etc. I think that this is a good idea, not just to get referrals but as a thank you for a nice day. I like your approach to this business. Wedding photography should be fun for me as well as my client. Blessings and much success to you. Todd