How to prevent fungus attacks

ambika_bhatt

I live in Mumbai, a city thats extremely humid and has moisture in

the air all the time. Thanks to that, I have had my lenses get

attacked by fungus twice by now. Once Ive gotten it cleaned, this

time I am determined to build or buy a safe cupboard or box for

them.

I have about four lenses and two cameras, so I dont need a very big

cupboard, if I can fit in my negatives in it too it would be great.

I want suggestions on what kind of material is good for storage,

wood or metal or something else to prevent moisture to seep in. I

may not be able to buy a dehumidifier for a while, coz its a bit

beyond my budget right now. I need low cost options. I have heard

that fitting a zero watt bulb inside your cupboard protects camera

equipment from catching fungus. Is that true?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Ambika,

I live in Miami, also a very humid spot, and have been storing all my lenses inside sealable plastic bags along with a large dessicant/silica packet in each bag for each lens. I also keep several dessicant packets inside my camera bags when traveling. I have not had any moisture problems since I started this practice. Years ago I did experience fungus growth inside several lenses when storing them unprotected in a supposedly dry closet.

Silica gel is good, but in Mumbai, you'll find that it gets saturated very quickly.

I'd recommend getting some airtight containers, and keeping your lenses in them, along with the silica gel. That way, you have to spend less time re-heating the gel (I personally heat on a flame, not in a microwave).

The box with the low-wattage bulb works as well.

Incidentally, if you are in Mumbai, check out www.jjmehta.com and click on forums for discussions on photography pertinent to India.

Vandit

Ambika, Desicant gel beads are good not the little do not eat teaspoon bags in electronics, the big 1/2 kilo bags in a military style ammo can (probobly a 20 dollar investment in the us at a army surplus store). This will solve your problems. I am not sure if you can find them in your area but they work well. and the bags can be baked in the oven at low temp overnight to re-activate the desicant. Good luck with the fungas.

<p><b>Vandit Kalia , sep 04, 2005; 12:56 p.m.</b><br>

<i>Silica gel is good, but in Mumbai, you'll find that it gets saturated very

quickly. <br>

I'd recommend getting some airtight containers, and keeping your lenses in them,

along with the silica gel. That way, you have to spend less time re-heating the

gel (I personally heat on a flame, not in a microwave). </i><br>

</p>

<p>This makes sense. I use

<a href="http://www.bestlabdeals.com/product_p/bamp696.htm" target="_blank">this</a> with lots

of

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=242571&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation" target="_blank">

this</a>.</p>

<p>However, airtight containers work well for medium term storage, if you are

not taking your equipment often. For regular use consider

<a href="http://www.bestlabdeals.com/product_p/bamp699.htm" target="_blank">this</a>.</p>

<p>Never heat silica gel in a microwave. Use electric ovens at 300 deg F

overnight. I bring my portable oven to my AC room and leave it on overnight.</p>

Of course the lenses should be as clean as possible before storing. Fungus does NOT grow on glass, it needs some organic substance. Minor residues of fingerprints, invisible organic fibers and dust particles etc will all contribute to fungus growth.

So keep the lenses (and containers) as clean as possible. NEVER use wooden or cardboard boxes, leather or tissue-lined bags etc.

Ambika,

You can dry them out in a regular oven, and I would assume a microwave as well.

I use the large packets (you can buy them in the U.S. at places like Home Depot, or other large hardware stores) rather than the tiny ones that come in all electronics' packaging. I've also used the metal-encased ones, as mentioned above, though they can be more expensive. You can also buy the silica granules in large bags and make, or renew, your own canisters.

All of these methods work very well IF you also store the items inside an air-tight container; the dessicant will dry out the small enclosed container area quickly and keep it dry for a very long time without becoming overly-saturated with moisture.

It's been my experience that the fungus takes several weeks or months to form, so even if the equipment is exposed to high humidity while being used, returning it to its dry container after use will reverse the internal humidity levels and you will not have the fungus problem. I have stored many large format lenses, as well as camera bodies, meters and other delicate equipment, in this fashion for many years and they are still as good as new and show no signs of moisture damage.

Sergio, Vandit, and all the others, thanks so much for the responses. The air tight container with the silica gel sounds like the best idea.

Sergio, I have gotten lenses cleaned by a professional and saw the fungus come back in less than a month, Mumbai is just as humid as it gets. All electronic items, computers, fridges, music systems, have a short life in this city.

• 2 weeks later...