Looking to buy Canon lens in Gainesville / Orlando FL area.

frans_van_wyk

I am from South Africa and will be visiting the US shortly. I want

to buy a new Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens (with an

International warranty) from a reputable dealer. Where is the best

place to buy and what can I expect to pay? I will be staying in

Gainesville but will be visiting Orlando as well.

There are a few very good mail order places in the States with the reputation to back them up.

B&H in NY, Samy's in Los Angeles, Calumet also in Los Angeles. You might have a hassle with a foreign, (non-US) credit card, but probably not. The ads from these stores say they shipout of country, so your credit card should work okay. (B&H do not take debit cards that work as if they were a real credit cards everywhere else.) If your flying in through JFK in New York it might be worth your time to take a day layover and go into the city and go to B&H Photo. (Take a good layover, JFK is definitely outside the city!)

Check your prices online at these stores.

If your driving around Florida, there is a good shop called Pro Photo in Delray Beach,(north of Miami) and they have a good stock of Canon equipment. However, you probably will not get better prices ten mail order.

Check out the tele-extender with that lens, it's a good wildlife combo.

Steve M.

Hello Frans

Please let me know when you will be in the Orlando area. I have just bought the Canon lens you are looking for and I am looking to sell it. I have the box and paperwork. I have the receipt and it is still under warranty for about 7 months. I didn't get a chance to use it for what I intended it for so the lens is unused. I would make you a good offer if you are interested. I can meet you and you can see it. I live in Tampa. My email address is quicksignstampa@msn.com if you are interested. I bought it from a very reputable dealer. I paid $1509.00 which included shipping.

James

I went to school in Gainesville. There's a camera shop located close to the University of Florida campus (in the plaza off of 34th Street & University). The shop is called (Harmon's) Photos Ar Nice. They are a tad expensive though, but they carry a lot of gear. I agree with the other posters, if you know where you are staying, visit adorama.com or b&h and order your lens from them and ship it overnight. It'll still be cheaper than the local store. Plus there's always a chance that the camera shop will not have that particular lens in stock.