Alaska in March?

thomas_vanagt

Hello,

My girlfriend has to be in Anchorage next March. I was thinking of

joining here there and travel for 2 weeks.

But it seems like everything in Alaska is shut down in March. Is there

any point in trying to get around? Is there anything to see? I guess

the bears are still sleeping...

Thanks

Thomas

You probably won't see many bears. I'm not sure what you mean by "everything" in Alaska being shut down in March; in Anchorage, March is the end of wintertime, and there are a lot of winter sports events going on, plenty of ski trails are open, you have a chance at the aurora even though it will be getting light, and you can indeed drive around and visit various cities all year round. There are some great late-winter hikes in the area. Things like fishing, wildlife cruises, and the usual tourist fare are, of course, mostly not available.

Having lived in Alaska for a year, I can say that March is an excellent time to be out...

<p/>

IIRC, the Iditarod starts in early March and there's a ton of activity associated with it around Anchorage (ice carving contests, which are quite interesting to photograph, especially at night). The aurora is usually in peak form that time, although it's helpful to be on a calling list to know when it's happening. Stop by the Todd Salat gallery (look it up in the phone book, or stop by his website <a href="http://www.salatshots.com">http://www.salatshots.com</a>) and ask to be on the phone list. I did when I was there and didn't regret the 2am calls (they happen pretty infrequently).

<p/>

Wildlife will be scarce for sure...There's always Portage Glacier and the Chugach mountains to enjoy. Drive to Seward or Homer (a few hours) and experience some coastal life...

<p/>

Enjoy,<p/>

-D<p/>

<a href="http://coyoteimages.com">Coyote Images</a>

Anchorage Fur Rendezvous is scheduled for Feb 17 through Mar 5 of 2006. There's always a few interesting events to shoot, along with the sled dog races.

March is my favorite time of the winter. (Being nearly over helps too.) We often get a lot of our annual snowfall in March. The weather is warming up, but there's still plenty of snow on the ground, and we're finally getting some daylight back. Skiing's good, rivers are still frozen & access to the back country is at it's peak. All you need is access to a snowmobile.

But my favorite Alakan adventures all involve moving water & plastic boats, but those won't be avaialble until May. So it depends on what you want to do/shoot.

From your last post, I suggest you do some reading and move beyond your basic misconceptions. (Would you ask these same questions if you were going to Minnesota, where the weather can also be bad?)The place runs years around, winter is an active time, March is usually great werather in Interior, warmer and cloudier on the coast. Multiple activities and events welcome spring. You are NOT stepping back in time coming here. Try a good guide book, like Alaska for Dummies.

TW

From your last post, I suggest you do some reading and move beyond your basic misconceptions. (Would you ask these same questions if you were going to Minnesota, where the weather can also be bad?)The place runs years around, winter is an active time, March is usually great werather in Interior, warmer and cloudier on the coast. Multiple activities and events welcome spring. You are NOT stepping back in time coming here. Try a good guide book, like Alaska for Dummies.

TW

Tom, I wouldn't ask these questions if it wouldn't be for the warnings in the Rough Guide, as far as I know the most reliable travel guide for destinations worldwide.

They only talk about May-September, it really seems like no tourist is coming to Alaska in Winter/Spring. According to the Rough Guide roads are closed in winter, hotels and travel agencies are closed, etc.

Before paying a lot of money (flying from Europe to Alaska is bloody expensive) I thought it'd be wise to ask here first. Sorry I did.

The Rough Guide may be reliable on average but I think I'd prefer advice from somone who

lives in Alaska. I'm a weather wimp from sunny southern California, I visited friends in

Anchorage last Feb-March, and it was great. Please don't get in a pout if someone with local

knowledge, like Tom, offers some friendly advice that contradicts some misconceptions.

Misconceptions about Alaska commonly exist all over the rest of the United States, and we sometimes get tired of being asked, "How you heat your igloo" & such. Hence, Tom Walker's helpfull advice. He's really not poking at you.

We do get a lot fewer tourists in winter, but it's not like we don't get any. There are a few roads that do get closed. Denali Highway is the classic example, but you can get to either end via other, better roads so no one complains. Besides, it makes for a great snowmobile trail. All the major roads & highways are open and passible with a rental car. There are a few hotels & other turist centric businesses that get closed for winter, but most are still open and anxious for what ever business they get. You commonly get better accomodations for your money in the off season, and Alaska is always trying to get more visitors in the winter, so please come. :)

March really is a good time to come and the logistics are fairly straight forward.

BTW, you may find renting a snowmobile for a day or three not all that expensive. Since most rental cars do not have a trailer hitch, I'd rent one near where you are planning to ride it. Somewhere other than in Anchorage, that is.

On the way to Homer, you pass by the Kenai River, one of the few local rivers that is very likely to be free flowing in March. I floated this in an inflatable kayak a few years back in late February, and saw over 50 bald eagles in the first 6 miles below Kenai Lake. Since the highway follows the river in this same stretch, you might want to take some time, stop, and look around with a long lens if the weather's decent. There's not many boaters out there in March, but the eagles will be hungry & actively fishing for what remains of the late Silver Salmon run, as well anything else moving about.

There are also ways to photograph the eagles in Homer that make for interesting shots. Opportunities to shoot moose abound, but the bears are all likely to still be sleeping. And the scenery, while different than summer, is still spectacular.