The Canon error 99

I have a Canon 10D that worked fine for a little over a year, than I

started getting Error 99's. You click the shutter button and nothing

happens except an odd sounding click, and the "error 99" blinking in

the LCD. At this point the camara is usless until you turn it off

and than back on. This became more and more frequent until now I

just can't depend on my camara any more. The problem, with my camara

seems to have nothing to do with lens contacts or the memory card.

I have search several message boards, and it seems that this this

Error 99 thing is not that uncommon with Canon DSLR's.

I am wondering if there is a similar problem with Nikon, or any of

the other DSLR's. I am trying to decide whether to pay to get this

thing fixed, or just buy another camara or both. I have heard that

getting an error 99 problem fixed can be quite expensive. If I opt

to buy a new camera should I switch brands? Any openions on this?

I get error 99 sometimes on my 20 D but it?s usually to do with a lens that is attached.

Sigma lens have been known to cause error's. If it's not that or dirty contact on the lens then

it could be a more serious problem. I would at least check it out with a canon dealer/repair

centre.

I think every DSLR has lockups every once in a while. They mostly seem related to memory card or lens contacts.

Have you tries cleaning all lens contacts? (alcohol swab should do it) What about different memory cards? Of course, you can't clean the pins inside the camera or the memory card, so if they are to blame, a replacement is needed.

I've had a Nikon D100 for about 3 years and I've shot with it heavily with lots of lenses and I've <B>NEVER</B> had a lockup!<P>

I've had a Canon 20D since May and a much smaller collection of lenses (no Sigmas!) and I get a lockup about once a month. On the Canon forums they tell me that Canon firmware is just not very reliable.

Some of the problems seem to be related to poor memory management (I'm a sw engineer) so a couple of things that seem to help:<P>

Reformat your CF card between <b>every</b> use <P>

Stop shooting BEFORE the remaining-shots count gets to "1". Unlike the d100, which uses a fixed-size Raw file, the Canon uses a variable-sized Raw file, and it sometimes "misunderestimates" whether it will have enough space for that one, last, shot.

I've had a DRebel and a 20D for about 2 years and have never had Error 99, or any other lockup, except when using a defecive lens. In my case the lens had a slow actuating aperture diaphram. But I couldn't blame the camera's firmware for any of it. By setting the lens to f/22 and pressing the DOF preview button I could see the sluggish effect.

Anyway, you're not really giving us a lot of info to go on, but does this happen with only one lens, or with several? Have you tried cleaning the contacts, and with what? (I know some people have just looked at them & determined that they look clean enough, but you can't tell that way.)

The usual recommendation is to clean the contacts on both the camera's lens mount and on the lens. Also clean the contacts on the battery and in the battery holder. The progressive nature of your problem seems to indicate a good contact cleaning might fix it. Of course, a camera's electronics can go bad too.

It's probably the battery/battery contacts. It was relatively common with the 10D. I now use a 20D and a Rebel XT. I've had an Error99 once on my 20D, when I first got it, but none since them. I've never had an Error99 on my Rebel XT. By the way, upgrading from the 10D to the 20D would be well worth doing. The 20D simply has better electronics all around than the 10D. Even the Rebel XT does. I replaced my 10D with the Rebel XT. The XT really is that much better.

I have had a couple BP511 batteries not hold a charge before. This was from an older Canon G1, and after about 2-3 years they both failed. I have also heard of several EOS film cameras that had weak batteries that caused lockups. In some of those cases the battery indicator indicated a good battery before taking the shot. It's also possible that for a defective BP511 to put out enough voltage to indicate it is fine, when in reality it cannot deliver suficient amperage to power the camera.

Since Canon has stuck with the same battery for several point & shoots, several more DSLRs and even more camcorders, the price of third party BP511 copies are incredibly cheap on ebay. You can often get two for less than $15 (with shipping to anywhere in the world). If you suspect a bad battery, that's the next thing I would get after cleaning all contacts.

I had the error when trying to use a teleconverter lens with my 20-D, and a Tmount to do Prime Focus astrophotography. Canon said there was no work-around the problem, but I found a small piece of duct tape to cover the contact pins, prevented the Camera Body from detecting the Teleconverter (which had no lens attached, only the T mount). Of course, you have to shoot using manual settings, and focus manually as well (which is what I do with astrophotography anyways).

You either have a defective lens, a defective camera, a defective battery, or just dirty contacts. (You still did not actually say if you cleaned them *all*.) Error 99 is Canon's catch all phrase for "We've got an unknown problem here." So while it is a common error code, the causes for it are varied and often not even related to the camera itself.

Anyway, I don't see how any one of those problems is a reasonable cause to switch brands, but you can if you want to - you don't need this for an excuse. But you should know that for *most* Canon users error 99 is a seldom seen code. If I was starting over right now, I think I would get the Minolta 7D, or maybe the 5D. The prospect of Image Stabilization on all lenses sounds great to me.

Jim:

I have cleaned contacts, tryed different lenses, and reformated cards. I have even cleaned battery contacts. I kind of suspect a battery problem, because it seems that I get the errors very bad, after charging, but if I sit and fire the camera, with all the turning it on and off to reset it after the errors, over and over, after a while the errors start to subside. At this point the battery meter starts showing low charge.

I have ordered another battery, and will try that before calling Canon, and returning the camara for repair.

I have been using Canons for decades, with no problem. If I find that this error 99 problem is a rare thing I will stick with Canon, because up to now they have served me well.

<I>"I have cleaned contacts, tryed different lenses, and reformated cards. I have even cleaned battery contacts."</I>

<P>

You're on the right track then. Sounds like either a defective battery, or defective camera. I hate to say it, but I'd guess the camera & not the battery. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Seen this error once with a Sigma 28-200 3-4 months ago. Since then I've updated the firmware on the camera a couple of times (2.0 & 2.02). Now I've got other problems; a) camera either locks up (press shutter release and it won't fire) no error codes - I see the 'not in focus green light' in the viewfinder though, but I suspect that's not the case. So far noticed that it happens only when in autofocus mode - if I switch the lens to manual focus it works fine. b) Quite a few times in autofocus mode it overexposes completely (almost white images).

Thought it was my Sigma lens at first as my Canon 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 macro work fine. Before taking it in for repairs (still under warranty) decided to test the Sigma on my Ellan 50E - and it worked fine. I have a feeling that the firmware upgrades have introduced these problems as I remember using the Sigma for over 6 months (before upgrading to 1.5 I think!) without any problems. But I could be wrong. Will have to do some more testing. I was looking for the older firmware but can't seem to locate it online. Anyone know how I can get it.

• 3 years later...

<p>Error 99<br>

I have a new Canon xsi started using it on April 15,2009.On Sept.4th,when I tried to take a shot,the error code 99 came up.I have tried every thing that I have seen online,swith off and on several times,changed the battery,replaced the card,use a pencil eraser to clean contacts,change the lens using canon lens and nothing works.I am now concerned if this is a gereral canon problem like the olympus camera,where the XD card can freeze up.<br>

I must say that I forgot my camera in my car for a day,when the temperature was high.I usesd the camera about two days after and it worked,so I am not sure if that was the problem.</p>