Triotar that covers ,and a 6.5 in Goerz DA series III that covers,

(not alot of movement)

but they all seem a little wide to me.I like to find a 250 to 300 mm,

but the hole in the lensboard is 1 5/8 which I think limits me to a

#2 shutter-

anybody have any ideas?

BTW,cost is an issue,and I'm perfectly happy with a vintage uncoated

lens.

In modern shutters, 1 5/8" limits you to a #1, mounting hole 41.6 mm.

They're hard to find, would have to be front-mounted, but I think a 10.16"/9 Taylor Hobson Copying Lens might do for you. Mine cost about $60 delivered. Tessar type, radioactive glass in the rear cell, very sharp. Originally made for the Haloid Model D VR plate maker.

But since you're looking for inexpensive = old and obscure, you might want to buy a copy of The Lens Collector's Vade Mecum. I've found it a useful guide to deciding which of the old and obscure lenses offered on eBay to try to buy. Whatever you go after will have to be on the slow side to fit a small shutter. If they weren't so well-known, I'd suggest an f/18 Protar.

Good luck, have fun,

I have a 240 Schneider Symmar of 1960's vintage that I used to use as slightly long lens on 5X7. It is mounted in a Compur #2 shutter (which I understand is something of an oddball item). It is a single-coated convertible (415 mm I think - I don't have it here in front of me). I continue to use it as an even longer lens on 4X5 and have been satified with its performance.

I don't suppose they are widely available, but it might be worth looking for one.

Well, barring my getting lucky finding a vintage lens, (which to date,everything I've seen has either been in a #3 shutter or a barrel),I guess the consensus is the Nikkor 300M,which seems to be just what I'm looking for.

The danger of buying a new (modern) lens,is next I'll want a new 5X7 camera with all the bells and whistles....and then...

it's a slippery slope,as I'm sure most of you know-

Thanks for the input