NPC Polaroid back--Trick to get the shutter to fire?

chris_conrad

Hey folks: I just got a rough, used NPC polaroid back for my 6x7

(which is also in rough condition). The back of the 6x7 was loose

when I bought it and I re-attached using heavy gauge wire--that

works just fine for film. Anyway, I was able to detach the film

door and attach the NPC back in the same manner. It just seems

there must be a "trick" to making the camera think it has film--

otherwise the shutter won't fire. Your help would be greatly

appreciated.

THANKS!

~Chris

Well, the answer is no (about the dark-slide)....because I didn't see how there could be a relationship. Does removing the dark slide have a mechanical relationship with the camera? I just hate blowing 10 sheets of Polaroid film trying to figure this out, opening the back, etc....

Do you think that removing the dark slide will do the trick?

Chris

chris,

Yes, you need to remove it to fire the camera. It's the same with your film backs. Once you put the polaroid back onto the camera, you could remove the darkslide without exposing the film so don't worry about wasting sheets. Once you are done with the polaroid back, slide back in the darkslide to remove the back. The polaroid back attaches and works exactly the same as a regular film back. The only difference is the film.

Chris. Here's how my 67 works with a Polaroid back, and I believe the 6x7 works the same way. The dark slide has nothing to do with your problem The film counter is not engaged. To get it engaged with no film you need a take up spool in the camera. Open the door and, with a small screwdriver or something, push in on the tab I have indicated with the arrow. Hold the tab in and turn the take up spool with your fingers. Don't wind the winding lever, but put your fingers directly on the plastic take up film spool. Turn it to the right, or the direction it would move to wind film.

Watch the mechanical frame counter , and turn the take up spool until the counter gets past zero. Then stop turning the spool, and throw the film winding lever all the way, as if you were winding some film. Now you can release the tab and close the door. The shutter is cocked now, so release it by pressing the shutter release.

Now, whenever you want to take a Polaroid, just throw the film winding lever, like you were winding the film. That cocks the shutter. Then you are ready to go. It will work like this without film forever, or until you open the back again. Good luck. Tom<div>00DgRj-25822284.JPG.8168e4fd9c5a7b90a10f1e8d9f43acdd.JPG</div>

Chris, I had the same problem when I got my P67 with the P-back just a few months ago. The guy I bought it from sent me a note about it that was not very useful. I searched the archives, but there wasn't enough info. After a lot of trial and error, I finally got it worked out.

How sharp are your Polaroids? Mine are less sharp than another camera I have, a Fuji, with a P-back. I wonder if the optical fiber is to blame, or mine has a defect.

Danny, no problem!

Tom: So far, the polaroids are coming out quite crisp--I'm using Flash and hand-holding at 1/250 or 1/500 (leaf shutter lens). The awkward thing now is that the p-back keeps your eye about 1" from the viewfinder, so you have to really scrunch your face against the camera to focus. This is fine for my purposes, as I only intend to use it for the novelty and instant gratification snapshot or 2.......

~Chris