Not a question. Please have a look in this page, GORGEOUS!

You are right, Jerry. Not much moral high ground for me to stand on. I just got set off by thoughts of the few bidders whose practices and purchase histories indicate far deeper pockets than I have. Any camera that finds a home where it can be admired by others is in a good place. I will atone by using one of my getting-dusty cameras this week.

Who gets them when he is gone?

You see those two hammertone MP's with the visoflex? OMG.

It's impressive, but pretty chaotic ... he's got SLRs next the rangefinders and all kinds of stuff thrown in ...

The Nikon F is cool. I haven't seen one of those babies in a long time.

This guy can't be JUST a professor!

I wonder how much it costs to CLA 10,000 cameras in Bangkok once every five years. To overcome the effects of 10,000 shutters sitting there parked in their original and hardening gunk; about 4,000 built-in exposure meters with decaying selenium cells and irreplaceable galvanometers; maybe 1,000 lenses with separation and the crow's feet of fungus on the lenses, etching new patterns.<p>

By the same token, I wouldn't be surprised hearing that it costs as to mothball US naval warships as it does to use them at sea for the purposes for which they were designed, built and commissioned.<p>

Horde away, professor.<p>

I have five of the same model of old 35mm rangefinder, but they all are intended for active use.<p>

Arnold Harris<br>

Mount Horeb WI

>William Barnett-Lewis , aug 03, 2005; 09:30 p.m.

>Jon, it's a ZI Tenax II http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zeiss/tenax/tenax2.htm

Amazing. Utterly amazing. I'd like a couple of those old folders, but really it does make me

realize I've got to sell a couple of cameras I'm not using enough.

Ah... Thank you very much. Looks like a great little camera... like I really need another one.

:D

I'm told that he is not merely a collector, but that he uses all of these. Frankly, I seriously doubt that.

I have about eight bodies and not that many lenses and I can't even seem to get around to using all of them for the first time, much less on a regular basis. At least I feel a little less guilty for having them.

--Lannie

Isn't he also some kind of state official, or even a minister?

BTW, in the exhibition there were pics obviously taken with 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 cameras, 35mm cameras with very old (low contrast) and with modern lenses, wide-angles, teles, lots of different stuff, so, while he may not be able to use ALL of those cameras, he uses at least quite a variety of different ones from his collection.

This is the owner of a red Leica M3 that I posted here sometime ago. I happen to know his repair wizard who is a Hongkonger. I have seen a prototype of 180mm for Leica M in the wizard's workshop. Believe me, I have heard many stories about this Thai guy, both the collection and himself are amazing.

you guys seem to be pretty familiar with the asian camera market. I am going to Hong Kong, Zhuhai, Bangok and Burma later this year. What are the chances of picking up some good old gear? Where shoudl I go?

Also, how much do those seagul TLR's cost in China (in the US they are WAY oveprpriced).

There are far more collected cameras then old cameras being used. There is no intrinsic value to an old camera - if nobody wants it, it takes the inevitable path from the back of the drawer to the dumpster. Look at the fate of typewriters - except for rare 19th century examples most antique dealers throw them out when clearing out at an old house.

To those who are envious of the ability to pay the price - well just have another motivation to earn money. To those who feel that a world without well-heeled collectors would enable them to buy Leicas at yard sales for $5 - grow up. To those who feel that using an old camera gives them a moral superiority to a mere collector - well even the communist's motto was "from each according to his ability; to each according to his need" and your work better be good enough to "need" it more than those with the "ability" to only acquire them (anyhow we all know that system didn't work). In any event how many "users" have more cameras than they use - fess up?

The simple truth is that the upward movement in price caused by collecting has preserved many fine "lesser" cameras from destruction, which provides ample opportunity to use classic cameras at reasonable cost. Indeed the marketplace for these less collected cameras on EBay has created a golden age of classic user camera. Add to that the plethora of cameras coming out of the FSU and you have a situation where you can easily have a cupboard full of fine classic cameras at the cost of one rare Leica.