EF Extension tubes 12-II vs. 25-II

alfarmer

Hi, all.

I was currently looking at the EF 180mm macro lens so I can

more-easily shoot humming birds & such from slightly farther away, but

should I consider just getting one of these two extension tubes

instead? I'd most likely be using the extender with either the EF-S

17-85mm or the EF 70-200 f/4 L. Or maybe I should just use the 70-200

f/4 L without extender and back up further? :-)

I'm not sure what advantages the 25 has over the 12, but as I

understand it a 25mm extender allows you to move in closer. But it

also costs an additional f-stop.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate your sage advice...

Regards,

ALF

It appears that you are confusing extension tubes with extenders. They are two different things.

Extension tubes are simple devices, without any optics, which allow you to focus closer, thus getting a larger image, but with some exposure loss. The longer the extension tube, the greater the effect. They can also be combined for maximum effect with a given lens.

Extenders, on the other hand, include optics which do not affect the focusing distance of the lens, but magnify the image. They are intended for use with telephoto lenses and are generally available in 1.4x and 2x magnifications. The 1.4x results in a 1 stop loss and the 2x in a 2 stop loss.

Getting closer may not be the solution. I find that 300mm is most appropriate for hummingbirds in my backyard. The 180mm macro will require you to be within a 'discomfort zone' of the hummer but adding a 1.4x TC to your 70-200 or purchasing a 300 f/4 L IS may be a better choice IMHO. The attached picture was taken from about 3 meters with a 70-200 + 1.4x TC and the hummer still does not fill the frame adequately. A 400 + 12mm extension gives a better frame filling shot from the same distance.

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/3621883-lg.jpg

The difference between the extenders is that the 25 is a 2x, and the 12 is a 1.4x. They give you the option of extending your current lenses effective length, without the higher cost of buying new lenses.

By using the extenders, you will lose 1 f-stop with the 1.4x, and 2 f-stops with the 2x. You may also be limited to auto focusing only with the center of the lens with the 2x.

Both extenders are limited to the following telephoto lenses only:

135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens)

EF 70-200 f/2.8L

70-200 f/2.8L IS

70-200 f/4.0L

100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

Therefore, you will not be able to use the extender on your EF-S 17-85mm.

I hope this has helped you a little.

Jared is confused by the difference between extenders (usually called teleconverters, or TCs for short) and extension tubes. He is talking about TCs, not extension tubes.

If your hummingbirds regularly visit a particular flower or feeder, it is possible to accustom them to having a camera on a tripod nearby, which you can trigger using a long wired remote or radio release. Do this in stages - erect just the tripod, and make it "grow" from day to day, then mount the camera. To capture wings in motion, you need very short duration flash (1/20,000 or so), which requires the use of low power output and hence short flash to subject distances, and the same technique can be used. Multiple flashes slaved together will even and increase the illumination. Use M mode at max X sync and set exposure so that ambient light won't dominate.

The Canon paperwork that comes with the extender tells you the new close focus distance when it is in use. I use the 12 on my 400/5.6, it gives me 3-4 inches more range, just enough. The 25 will be my next purchase. There are off brand but you lose your shirt should you ever want to sell them.