Too much backlight

tonylarcombe

Marc has very simply explained the process extremely well. I would add, if you still want to use P mode or any other automated mode, try minus compensating the ambient (dial on back of camera) while trying a range of minus to plus flash compensating (back light will require plus compensation) while keeping the flash metering mode in evaluative (custom function 14). Short of blasting sunlight with no reflective aid from the ambient light on your subjects, the two stops of minus compensation possible covers most situations. Try it and you'll soon know how to apply it.

Oh Marc, Grace is so adorable in her little Haloween outfit! Thanks for the mini lesson on flash photography!

I'm curious about shotting high powered speedlights and infants. What steps of precaution do you take when taking photos of infants? I guess their pupils do not dialate as fully as adults, or something like that...

• 2 months later...

This is an old thread but I was searching for info on pretty much the same thing.

On Tony's portfolio, I was also first puzzled that even me (a newbie's newbie) understood what was needed to do the "fill-flash" thing and meter maybe the sky or the ground (pair of jeans in bright sun is said to be a good target when missing an 18% grey card).

But thinking further, maybe Tony doesn't have time to mess with M settings when everyone wants their photo taken at a wedding (?) and relies on P to get the job done.

I think the left subject could have been rendered better with some of the techniques discussed in this thread, so Tony likely had the same problem before but it wasn't a "deal breaker."

My own question is actually how to prevent what looks to be a "layer of light" covering everything (light "bleed" from the background onto the subject). Would a lens hood help? (I don't know when exactly I should use one; has been a hassle in the field so I don't use one).