Gigabitfilm for LF - suitable lenses?

dsms photos

Group,

has anyone relevant knowledge about the use of high(est) resolution

film like Gigabitfilm or the like (above 250lpm)?

I would be also interested in appropriate lenses to efficiently use

that to its maximum (taking and enlarging).

I was wondering if this domain of the NIKON Apo EL Nikkors, Zeiss S-

Orthoplanars or Chip S-Planars has been explored by someone here.

I would address that esp. to Jess T., Joerg K., Vivek I., Kornelius M

Thanks,

Klaus

I have been playing with Adox 4x5 microfilm from J+C and it is very sharp and super clean, but personally i think it enters into diminishing returns with 4x5. If you had a super stiff camera/tripod, and one of those sticky Sinar film holders, with a super sharp lens it would work well to give a little more sharpness. I used a G-Claron 210mm lens and that worked and was about as sharp as my Pentax 67II and my sharpest P67 lens with E100G scanned at 2000 dpi. My 210 G-claron is sharper than my Rodenstock Sironar N MC lens. I also have a G-claron 150mm and 240mm lens I have not tried with it yet.

I guess if you were shooting something very high contrast and had a vacuum back or sticky back and an Aerial photography lens you would get much sharper photos with it, but thats also going to be limited by diffraction at some point.

It is really super clean though.

My drum scanner only goes up to 4000 dpi so I am somewhat limited at the upper end to maybe about 50-60 lp/mm. also I have not shot a rez chart with it, but i will sometime soon.

Troy has said the most important things (film back and solid support). Lens and resolution is secondary here due the large area involved.

Glass plates should be preferrable but is not practical.

Klaus, All the special lenses you mention do splendidly on medium format and with a film like Gigabit.

35mm format is even more useful with a film like Gigabit. If I get a chance to play around with the new Zeiss ZM lenses...

May be Erwin Puts will try it and publish it in Camera Magazine?!

The problems are: depth of field, freedom from vibration, alignment of film plane with lens plane, agreement of GG location with film location, flatness of film, flatness of image plane, resolution of lens, etc... It all comes down to "system resolution". In practical terms having a film that will resolve 200+ lp/mm is overkill in large format, there are too many other limiting factors. For shooting 2D subjects under controlled conditions there would be a real benefit, but for 3D? Using any lens at the normal f/22-f/32 apertures you'd have a real gain of 2-3 lp/mm at most on film. The major benefits would be lack of grain and smoothness of tonality. As to your actual question any recent "apo" or good process lens (Artar, Ronar, etc) that has excess coverage for the format (to use the "sweet spot") used at f/8-f/11 would be able to show an improvement in resolution dependent upon the effects of the other factors previously mentioned. On 4x5 I'd suggest a Sironar S or APO Symmar of 210mm or longer used at f/8-f/11. Looking at the aerial image of my lenses the Artars give them a real run for their money at f/11, of course f/8 is out of the question with them. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Just made some test with the Fax Ortho Nikkor 480mm, Nikkor-Q 210mm and Apo EL Nikkor 105mm. All (except the Fax Ortho @f8) performed at the theoretical possible limit! I.e. diffraction limited. Anyone interested in the detailed may request the grafic results. Quite a surprise actually.

[siemens star als test object, microscope 100x to observe the aerial image]

Thanks

Klaus