crinkle finish black source?

jtk

Hi: Go to www.tubesandmore.com. It is an antique radio site.

They have Black Wrinkle Enamel finish in spray cans.

I have used it to restore old radio equipment. It is the

real thing. be aware that it wrinkles best under a heat

lamp.Just follow directions & you will be OK

Happy 4th

Gerry

John,

What I did was to find a local metalworking company that made a commercial product that had a wrinkle/ crinkle finish. I my case, it

was a company that made commercial chicken incubators. I gave them

my parts and at their next production run they did my stuff. I had a

Ferrari dashboard, a custom Leica flash bracket. A Porsche instrument

panel, hi-fi switch panels all done in black, brown or red wrinkle

finish.

Do not believe the idiot that says the wrinkle is in the metal!

Jerry

I worked for many years building instruments for military aviation. We often used wrinkle finish enamel. Baking in an oven is preferable to heat lamps if you want a nice even finish. If you must use lamps use more than one and do not place them so close to the job that the paint smokes! A single lamp will give you a finish that has coarse wrinkles on the hotter side and finer wrinkles on the other. The finish is a product of the enamel itself and definitely NOT the result of a wrinkled metal surface!! Best regards, Bill

I know exactly what you guys are talking about having seen my younger brother in his Harley Davisson customizing shop use it a number of times.

'

BUT in defense of the guy who said that the wrinkle was the metal..

The door panel metal in a 1967 Mustang appaers to have a wrinkle like finish (it is not the same as the enamal finish) but it is a wrinkled metal (actually a textured metal) I know this for a fact having used a rotory soft brass wire brush to remove the origional paint from the rear panels, doors and window trim on our 67 Mustang.

There is also a type of wrinkle finish metal used on things like screen doors.

SO give the guy a break maybe he just didn't know exactly what you were talking about.

Do not believe the idiot that says the wrinkle is in the metal!

Jerry you are a piece of work. You can't make a simple point without insulting someone, about something of very little importance. Someone you don't even know. If I said you are acting like a seven year old, that would be insulting the seven year old. You are just a jerk.

There's no practical difference between "crinkle and wrinkle" finishes. The "wrinkle" finish on embossed aluminum is commonly known as a "textured metal" finish and that is embossed onto the metal itself before any paint is applied, The difference is readily apparent. The fine wrinkle finish of baked enamel is in no way similar to the textured finish of embossed aluminum, which has a pattern resembling crushed leather. Best regards, Bill

"In the interest of peace on this forum I agree with both of you."

I guess it doesn't make any difference to you that he called me an idiot (something he has done to others) for no reason, out of the blue. Thanks for your support. This is perfectly acceptible etiquette on the Leica forum in your view. How equitable of you.

If you just need to restore small spots of crinkle paint, you can do this with normal metal paint.

Apply a rather thick layer and wait until it is half-dry. Then touch it with a piece of rubber foam. You can find rubber foam in different densities, the less dense it is the coarser the crinkle structure will be.

It will take some tests, however, to find the right time to do this. If you apply the rubber foam too early, the crinkles will 'set' and the result will be an even surface. If you do this too late the rubber foam will have no effect either.