Sturdy Umbrellas

After trying the cheap umbrellas (convertable white) with hotshoe

flash off camera for macro work in the field I have run into a serious

problem, wind. Specifically, a breeze will easily knock over an open

umbrella and then the spokes get bent and eventually a spoke breaks

destroying an umbrella.

Does anyone know of a brand that actually produces sturdy umbrellas

that are useful in the field for regular usage? Or am I just going to

have to buy some weights for the stands to keep them upright?

I just broke an umbrella today and I am a bit frustrate. I will

probably try to rebuilde using heavier duty materials if I cannot find

a better umbrella to buy. Sadly, just running out to a lighting store

is an expensive proposition by itself (time and gas) so I hope someone

will share a helpful suggestion.

Would a portable soft box be a better solution?

thanks,

Sean

Get your insurance agent to give you one of those free golf umbrellas very sturdy. (State farm and allstate give them away) and line it with the material from your broken ones. Hand stich around the edges and down a few seems and your all set. Good luck.

I can't offer any specific suggestions regarding which umbrellas are sturdier than others. The basic design of an umbrella is inherently prone to trouble so any umbrella built to be durable would also necessarily be either too heavy or too expensive.

And I don't like weight bags. For one thing, purpose built weight bags from photo suppliers are ridiculously expensive. You could improvise your own but you'd still be stuck with one unpleasant problem - having to lug the weight around.

I use duct tape around each spreader (as well as any cords). This can be inconvenient, tho', if it becomes necessary to move the lightstands.

If I planned to set up lightstands on the ground I'd use small bungee cords and tent stakes to secure the spreaders. Again, it'd be slower to rearrange but it'd be very wind resistant.

Donald,

Sounds like a way to fix the broken one. I have some rain umbrellas about.

Lex,

Stakes are not a bad idea, I could probably find some long ones that would be viable.

As to weights, forget the camera companies. I was thinking of getting 3 pairs of velcro on ankle weights in the 3-5 lb. range (9-15 lbs. per stand). I know it is a lot of weight though. It would transform that 30 lbs. of gear (water, snack, camera gear, and enough survival gear to survive 4 hours and keep me warm and the gear dry) into a 50-60 lb. monstrosity. Makes the stakes sound wise.

thanks,

Sean

Outdoors, umbrellas can make terrific sails. I've had a couple of disasters (slow learner?) and don't think I'll try that again.

You can weigh the light stands down, but that won't help if the wind turns your umbrellas inside-out. Many (most?) photographic umbrellas are made with U-channel struts for ribs that are slightly heavier than aluminum foil. Heavier umbrella frames may not be viable.

You may want to consider softboxes. Besides being more robust, they offer some advantages over umbrellas (along with some disadvantages).

To sandbag the stands, you might try to find ways to attach equipment that you already are carrying. Alternately, some companies (e.g., Photoflex) offer devices that can be filled with water, sand, rocks, etc., when on location. That way, you carry only the container with you, not the weight.

We bought several of these cheapo "Pro Photo" and "Amvona" sandbags on eBay, for

twenty bucks (including shipping) per set of two bags:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&item=7539894210&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

We filled 'em with sand (in Ziplok baggies, 'cause we're a bit anal). We packed 'em into a

carry-on bag that has wheels and an extendable handle, which was purchased at a "dollar

deal" store for five bucks.

We bought a used heavy-duty lightstand on eBay, and some inexpensive but relatively

sturdy tubular-aluminum lightstands at the Adorama and White Lightning Web sites.

However, we never use umbrellas outdoors if there is any wind at all, and we use our

cheapest eBay umbrellas when shooting outdoors.

"Brandon's Dad"