Canon EF50mm f/1.8 for Weddings

anesh

I have used one for several weddings and some corporate events. Its a great lense! The only problem I have found for weddings, is with the 1.6x factor on my camera. While still maintaining the distortion of a 50mm, you are cropped in equivalent to an 85mm.

It has strong points for portraits, and excellent for very low available light during the ceremony in a dark church. It does come in close though, making a tight crop. I had a second shooter use it for one wedding and even his shot from the balcony some 120' away still couldn't get the full 14 person wedding party in on one shot.

For the price, its one of my favorite lenses.

Jeff

Works great for me. This is the only non L lens that I use and to be honest it works great for weddings. The auto focus is much much slower than the L's but I usually just manual it. The colors are nice and I think the sharpness is fine as long as your focus is right on.<div>00DSUT-25522384.jpg.43b93ee95e5b9456feb53c5819aa67e4.jpg</div>

I love this lens, and for the money, there's little reason to NOT own it, unless you already own the 50 1.2 L.

It is a little slow on the focus, if that's what you mean. It's not a USM, but it gets the job done. Even my USM lens yesterday missed a couple shots (though not critical shots, just stots I would rather have had).

and if your talking about consumer grade short zooms, it wins hands down. If you want to spend some money get yourself some extra flash power. I think a 50mm and a good 90' guide number flash will get you "more better pics" than the 28-100 lense. while we are there, ask some of these guy's about using the flash in manuel most of them do not completly trust the "auto" results.

I love this lens. It's an awesome lens for the price yielding perfectly acceptable results. Many of the images on my site were shot with this lens. IMO it wins hands down against any of the non-L zooms. As for the non-L primes, it really depends on the perspective you're looking for. The 85 1.8 is an awesome lens as well, but if I had a choice and could only pick one of those lenses to cover an event, I'd go with the 50mm....your mileage may vary.