Anyone try the new HP 8750?

I was using a 7960 and upgraded to an 8750 specifically for B&W. On HP premium satin paper for large prints at 230 dpi in B&W from a 20D it's better than outstanding -- just lovely prints, quite competitive with MF from a wet darkroom. With color, however, it's a bit problematic though I would like to suppose that with some work and custom profiles it would be just fine there too.

As always, YMMV!

g.

Ronald:

Don't worry about the 7960 carts disappearing. They're used in a bunch of other printers from HP as well (including some non-photo printers now).

George: Watch the color management (I turn it off) and watch the tab on the lower right for color setting. Try both sRGB and Adobe RGB if you aren't using color profiling. When you get the hang of how you want it, you'll knock the socks off people who see your prints. I took in 4 I made over the weekend to rave review yesterday.

Conni

I have narrowed-down my printer list to the HP 8750 and HP 8450. Will I be able to use my

stash of Epson Photo Glossy Film paper with the HP printers, assuming I do some tweaking in

the beginning? (I also have some Epson Matte, etc.)

Tricia,

I would not hesitate to anyone to get an HP photo printer, particularly a higher-end model like the 8750. About all you do with HP printers and change the cartridge, easy and low maintenance, deadly reliable machines from my 10+ years of owning them.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm also thinking about getting an HP 8750 - to Conni (or anyone): Just how easy/difficult is it to get the hang of colour management? Do you end up firing of many practice prints before you get it worked out, or is it quite easy to do? Thanks in advance.

Neil:

I had no difficulty and only printed a few test prints on the paper stock I usually use to see changes I wanted to make.

However, I've been printing with HP Photosmart printers (4 different models, so far) so I've got a pretty good handle on how they behave beforehand. The 8750 makes the biggest leap sso far between models. I love the output from my 7960 and kind of expected the 8750 to be "bigger" and "somewhat" improved. It is bigger. Allow plenty of room for it. But the Vivera inks are more than a step ahead and take some adjustment to get what you're used to or what you want. Like I said, this didn't take long for me but it might if you're new to the HP line.

Conni

Thanks Conni, I appreciate the feedback. I still think the 8750 is all that I want right now, and so I will likely be looking to buy one in the next month or so (just as well, as they don't appear to be in the shops here in Australia yet!). I will allow myself a fair amount of getting-up-to-speed time, and hopefully all will turn out OK. Cheers!

FWIW, I have the 8150 that uses the newer cartridge series. Print quality is excellent. With HP paper, tests suggest the archival quality is also excellent. IMO, there's a great advantage in having a new print head every time you replace a cartridge, as the quality remains high over the life of the printer. The consumable costs are pretty high. I just did a run of 20 11-page brochures for a friend. They had a few photos on each page (single sided) and some text describing each photo. It took exactly two cartridges to print the run (1 #97 tricolor & 1 #99 photo) at a total cost of about $60. That's $0.273 per page, and you'll get far less capacity if you're printing full up photos, maybe just a handfull of 8.5 x 11s at most.

Thanks Conrad. I too like the idea of the fresh print-head, although of course this would push up the price.

<p>

Another question (if anyone's still checking this thread): Do you get any problems with the ink cartridges drying out, either in the printer or when still unused on the shelf? I've heard of this occurring with some brands, but am not sure which ones.