Halifax, NS

f_p

As was mentioned above, the Public Gardens are nice. The downtown has some good photo ops. You might want to trek up to the top of Citadel Hill as well.

If you have a car, I second the recommendation to take a drive out to Peggy's Cove (although it's probably quite crowded this time of year). Highway 333 to Peggy's Cove makes a nice loop.

I'm afraid I thought Halifax itself was dull. I have seen some good photography from the park there, but it was all in winter with snow. The art gallery's worth a look.

The coast south and west of Halifax is not at all dull, though you'll need a rental car to see it well. Peggy's Cove is bound to be extremely busy unless you can drive down there early- and I mean well before breakfast. Prospect is much quieter. Herring Cove can be good photographically but you have to invest time in gaining waterside access. The road beyond to Portuguese Cove /Ketch harbour is quite good.

If you can get just a little further afield then Blue Rocks can photograph nicely and Mahone bay is one of the nicer little towns.

How long are you going to be in Nova Scotia? If you have the time, drive a day north to Cape Breton and spend time on the Cabot Trail. Breathtaking scenery from the cliffs overlooking the water. Good opportunities for spectacular scenics and wildlife.

It is not a short drive from Halifax, but definitely doable in a day. Worth the detour if you have the time. Just Google Cape Breton and Cabot Trail for details.

I tend to agree with your assessment of Halifax - except for the gardens (very nice) and Peggy's Cove (yes - you need to be there VERY early to even find a spot to set down your tripod - it is about a 30 min drive at first light and getting there at first light gives you great sunrise opportunities with the lighthouse at dawn pretty much on your own) is a must see. Otherwise - I'd spend my time on Cape Breton.

I just spent a month out East, and I have to say I thought Peggy's Cove was the single most over-rated photo location I've ever seen in my life. That name came up more times than any other when I'd ask people about "out East", and frankly I don't know what's so special about it. It's tiny, and there are a handful of boats at best. Maybe I just had my expectations set so high because of all the hype that there's no way it could have lived up to them. I found I was the only soul around at sunrise. Sunset is a completely different story though. The Hwy 333 loop is a nice drive as mentioned, but I just don't know what the huge attraction of Peggy's Cove is.

I second the Cabot Trail suggestions. Absolutely gorgeous!

Oh ya, and as far as language, I found Halifax overwhelmingly English, where Cape Breton had almost a 40/60 split between French and English, though you can always find someone who speaks English.