for such a charger which itself does not require any batteries. My

thoughts are like that: The charger will always be connected to

electricity at home, charging. When I go out shooting, I will wear it

on my belt (or in my pocket or alike) and connect it to the 580EX via

cord. I am not looking for fast recycling times or anything like

this. Only the ability to do away without any AA batteries in the

580EX.

In the past I had the CP-E2 with 550EX. However, to be functional,

both needed to be loaded with AA batteries.

Any such device exists? TIA.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

A charger, or more specifically a BATTERY charger is used to charge batteries.

The 580EX, nor any hot shoe mounted flash that I know of, has permanently installed batteries and therefor has no external connection for an external battery charger or an AC connection.

Perhaps you're thinking of AC powered studio strobe lights, which require no batteries but connect to the mains.

Yakim, I don't think your idea is possible. Canon split the power in their guns. The speedlites like 580EX need AA batteries for all electromechanical work (including zooming). External batteries e.g. Quantum Turbo provide high voltage for the flashes - this is dedicated to generate power in condensers JUST for flashes and no other speedlite operational functions. If Canon battery pack doesn't require AA batteries it is probably because CP-E3 is a standard/low voltage unit.

Jacek

Yeah, anything connecting to the high voltage port will require an additional 4 AA batteries in the flash. But if you get a Quantum Batterty 1+ or similar, the dummy battery at the end of the cord is the replacement for the AA's. These are just 6 volt batteries with a cord & dummy battery, so don't expect great recycle times, but they will outlast any AA battery set.

You can make your own too. Use wooden dowels for the dummy batteries. Run a wire through the center of two of the dowels to make contact with the flash, and a wire to a sealed 6 volt lead acid battery. This can be left on a trickel charger without a problem & the battery will last for what seems like a short eternity. :)

If you make your own as Jim describes make sure you have a connector permanently connected to the battery terminals.

I made my own battery pack to power 3, 550's and while testing it on one of them connected the battery terminals the wrong way round.

There was a flash but not from the flashhead and then a smell of 'sh!t I've knackered it'

I was lucky in a way because a few seconds before I had all three connected.

Cost me ?72 to have it repaired.