Flashgun suitable for Fuji S7000

I need a hot-shoe flashgun that's suitable for my Fujifilm FinePix

S7000.

Fuji don't market a gun for this camera. In the instruction book,

the only relevant comment is: "Ordinary external flash units can be

used. However, some camera-specific flash units cannot be used."

But I'm a little suspicious. I'd like to be sure that a gun I have*

or would buy will not frizzle the camera's electronics (e.g., by

having too high a trigger voltage). Any thoughts?

* Apart from camera-dedicated guns (Nikon, Pentax), I have a Jessops

280ABZ, a Rokinon 18 M and a Sunpak DC3.

More to the point ... do you have a volt meter with which to check the trigger voltage of the units you have. If they are 6v or less then you are probably safe, and if you do not use flash very much then likewise because I understand it is a cumulative process.

Have you visited www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Where you will find much useful info on the subject and possibly reference to your units. It could be worth trying to find out the acceptable voltage from Fuji or else posting on the Fuji forum at www.dpreview.com.

Thanks for your suggestions. I had a look at the first website you mentioned, and the Jessop 280ABZ has: 'No' in the key column, followed by '70V measured by "TomCee" Cramer, 249V from Mark Butler.'

I'll take a look at the second site you mention...

I have used a variety of cheap and expensive flashes including studio A/C strobes with my

S7000 without a hitch. The only problem -- since the min, aperture is only f8, you may

find yourself shooting in M mode, with shutter speeds up to 1/8000 if the flash is very

bright in a closeup. Basically, anything that works and isn't really ancient should do fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry

I have a Fuji S7000, the trigger voltage is not a big issue with this camera, don't use some ancient flash without checking the trigger voltage but don't be afraid of anything within reason. The fear of trigger voltage problems stems mostly from cameras such as Canon EOS models which will be seriously damaged by any voltage over 2-digit values.

Personally I use an old Vivitar 285 with a remote sensor and flash handle, I don't remember the voltage value I got from that flash but I know it was less than 20 volts. The other flash I use is an el-cheapo Vivitar 2000 bounce flash, I haven't checked the voltage but it operates fine. The 2000 isn't much more powerful than the built in flash but it does allow me the bounce feature.

The site listed in a post above shows how to test trigger voltage and there should be no problem with any flash under about 50 volts.

Ira