M "Quick Load" kit ?

I see this item periodically up for sale.

Has anyone here bought one of these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&category=30030&item=7520959931

This appears to be an aftermarket thing made in Germany or does it

look like a genuine Leica kit ? I am looking for a solution for my

M2 after being spoiled by the M6 loading. It does not appear to have

the same type take up spool as the M6.

Or would I be better off taking the "spare take up spool" route and

preloading a couple of rolls and keeping them wrapped in foil ?

Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be welcome....

TIA, Toodles, and Happy 4th everybody !

That kit was provided by Leica, as an afterthought to the M loading inconvenience. I had one with an M3 and it worked. I no longer have the M3. The M6 is more convenient. In any case I did not think it worth the price asked for on the auction site. I believe the original price was less than $20 US.

There are some users of that kit on this site. They may be able to provide more helpful information for you.

JF

My M3 came with one, and so far the regular spool I picked up afterwards has just sat in a drawer. The Quick Kit is a little less sure-fire than the M4 but loads (pun intended) better than the original spool.

It works, but is not going to turn your M2 into the M4 or later loading system. Think of it as

a single slot instead of the three slots on later M cameras. The single slot has to be at

exactly 9 o'clock to receive the film leader. The rubber piece on the baseplate keeps the

leader in place during the initial film winding. It is reliable, as I never had problems during

the year I used an M2 almost exclusively, but I enjoyed moving up to an M6.

I disagree with Paul and Al but they're probably right and I'm probably wrong. The reason that they're probably right, at least for an M3, is that you still have to yank the spool to reset the counter. It is only a one-slot deal, rather than three, but in my experience it works better and it is faster than completely removing the takeup spool, inserting the leader, then inserting both spool and cartridge. I bought mine cheap...at $75 I'm not sure I'd bother but YMoneyMV.

Pulling the spool half way out on an M3 is only a nuisance. What I dislike is trying to find the slot on the rapid load spool by feel when it's too dark to see. With the M4 and later system you don't have to find a slot. With the old style spools you can easily find the tab where the film goes with your thumb nail.