Canon EOS 30/33

stefan_haas

I have the 30 and think it's great. Nevertheless the 3 is better still. Each has it's distinctive pros and cons. Mark is right. How can any of us know what is better for you? What are your preferences? What do you shoot? Which lenses do you have? Which body do you have? Have you considered a DSLR? What is your budget? etc.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I have a 30 and like it very much. I also have a 300 and still use it a lot. And I wish I had a 3 but everytime I take the credit card out I put it back in the wallet as the amount of money involved could buy me lots of other nice things, including a short trip somewhere nice to use my existing equipment. So it depends...

Stefan

I use a EOS3 and over the years, I gathered many prime fast lenses (f2.8). It is a very good tool to take picture but it has its own learning curve. And accessories are expensive...(PB-E2, multiple 550EX, remote switch, grid focusing screen, etc)

My wife has a Elan7e (EOS 30) and uses mostly a 24-85 and a 70-200 f4L. She only uses a battery grip, 420EX flash and a remote switch for accessories... not very expensive. She is very good with her camera but does not like the EOS3: too many buttons and too complicated to use.

You will need lots of money to build a good kit around a EOS3, but you can make lots of money using that complex kit. And I can AF with a EF400 5.6L + 1.4TC, she cannot!

Good luck

If you do choose to get an EOS 3 by all means buy a used one. I got mine from B+H for 300 USD less than they charge for a new one. Sure, it didn't have a manual, but that sort of thing can be cleared up easily. With such a beast of a camera, you really don't have to worry about the wear and tear inflicted by the previous owner. I don't know if I'd make such a statement about an Elan series...

I have both and like them both. I have a 33 and 7n and they're great, light and fairly compact cameras. They are also very QUIET. They have virtually everything I need, including the light weight for serious travel work.

The 3 is a phenomenal camera that is fast, solid (heavier than 33/7n) and NOISY. It sounds like people expect a pro camera to sound like. Not so great for discrete photography in some foreign land. But, it is also WEATHER SEALED. That's the only reason I have one instead of another third 33/7n. Sometimes I need the weather sealing. Otherwise, I'd prefer the lighter/quieter 33/7n.

The 3 also has a faster frame rate, especially with the add-on grip (which I don't use). And, the viewfinder is beautiful and better than the 33/7n. Those things may be important to you.

The comments at the start of this thread are most appropriate - it depends on what you want/need to shoot. I hike a lot with my gear, so when I was considering another body to add to my Elan 7, I went with another one. The Elan, in its newer incarnations 7, 7e, N, Ne, is, as the previous Lee said, much lighter and quieter than the EOS 3, both useful characteristics for shooting wary critters in the field. I also find that my portrait subjects tend to appreciate the quiet operation of my Elan 7.

Carefully research the specifications of both bodies and pick the one that will provide with all the tools you'll need to photograph what it is you want/need to.

Good luck!

Lee Newman