Horseman LE vs Sinar F1

gabriel_benaim

Hello,

Just when I thought I'd figured out what to buy, up comes an offer

for a Horseman LE. So, I wanted to ask for user opinions on pros

and cons for these cameras. I'll be shooting outdoors mostly, and

need long lenses as well as short. This is also my first LF rig.

Thanks.

Both are rock solid Horseman is the more sturdy of the two which also means it is heavier,

significantly. I have used both and the Horseman is my main studio camera, I find its

movements preferable to thoseo of the Sinar F1 (more gearing and smoother). Many parts

arae interchangable between the two but if you are looking for a particluar part on the

used market you will find Sinar parts in greater quantity than Horseman parts.

The one major design difference that might concern you is the rail. The Horseman uses an

"H" beam rail that is, IMO, the best design while the Sinar uses a round rail. OTOH the

Sinar rail is expandable by screwing-on extensions. Horseman makes two expandable

rails ( a short one and one that goes from ~ 300mm to 720mm). If you are not using any

lenses longer than 600mm and the Horseman comes with the expandable rail then these

distinctions should not matter. In eitgher case make sure you know the length of the rail

and be sure it will accommodate your longest lens.

If you are shooting outdoors mostly and that entails any amount of walking then perhaps

you should reconsider either of these choices. They are both large and heavy and not as

well suited to 'field' work as a field camera or the more compact Arca Swiss monorails.

Hi,

While I cannot comment on the Sinar F1, I can say that the LE is a very sturdy camera that will meet most, if not all of your needs. My only complaint is the weight. I shoot architecture and usually work out of the car, which is fine. But I find it cumbersome when set up on the tripod and moving it to another location around a building is quite a heave. For field work, expect a work-out!

Overall, though, the geared movements are a joy to use, precise and smooth. You might need a recessed lens board for anything wider than 75mm.

The Horseman weighs 11 pounds without an extension rail. I don't know how far you plan to walk when you're outdoors but if I were you I'd forget the Horseman unless you plan to stay very close to your car. I can't offhand think of anything the Horseman has that couldn't be found in a field camera better suited to most forms of outdoor work and that would be considerably lighter, more compact, and easier to set up and take down. I'm not familiar with the Sinar so I can't comment on it.

Three field cameras come to mind, Tachihara, Zone VI, and Wisner Traditional. I used a 300mm lens on my Tachihara and it worked fine though I had to give up a few feet of close focusing distance, which wasn't a problem since I wasn't using a 300mm lens for closeup work anyhow. The Tachihara has a 13" bellows extension, front rise, fall, swing, and tilt, rear swing and tilt, and sells for under $500 used. A Zone VI has a considerably longer bellows than the Tachihara, the same or more movements, and should be available used for $500 or so. A Wisner Traditional also has a longer bellows and may have more movements. I'm not sure of the price used but I wouldn't expect it to be much more than $500.