Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II<BR>

Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS<BR>

I need something in 24-70 range<BR><BR>

I am a bit spoiled by "L" glass...<BR>

Tell me what you have and what to expect from.<BR>

What could be your choice if you will have to buy again?<BR>

Thanks for your time.<BR><BR>

Peter

Ken will tell you to buy Canon. JoJo will tell you getting Sigma. Others will suggest Tamron. People don't buy the Canon for three reasons: expensive, heavy, and cheaper Tamron or Sigma substitute. If you can handle the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, the Canon 24-70 isn't heavy to you. The bottom line is money. I suggest that you wait until you save enough money for the Canon.

I am very happy with the quality, image and build of my Tamron 28-75 lens, it was 300.00 after rebate and is slightly sharper than my canon 70-200 IS at similar focal lengths wide open. It has very nice out-of-focus rendition. It also has a 6 year warranty. You already have many focal lengths covered with your existing lenses and there's not much reason to spend tons on the 24-70mm with a lens like the Tamron out there. That being said, I am quite sure that someday I will get the 24-70L, don't know why but I know I will, especially if they ever make it an IS. Bob

On my 20D, I have owned both the Canon L and the Sigma you asked about. I first owned the Sigma and wanted to try the L so I owned both. Then I got rid of the L. The L is definately better at 2.8 but not $900 better. At f/4.0 or smaller they are nearly identical so definately not $900 better. At f/4.0 or smaller the L maybe worth $50 more. If f/2.8 is very important to you and you make money with f/2.8 then you may have to buy the L. But the reason you pay ~$900 more for the L is not because it's worth $900 more but because the L has a monopoly at f/2.8. At f/2.8 the L is worth probably $300 more throughout the entire frame not just the edges.

I went through 4 Tamron's to find an acceptable copy (3 were extremly soft and/or front focused). I had 1 Sigma and it front focused and was soft. I ended up getting the Sigma 18-50/2.8 which is very sharp. Its a good lens, but its my only non USM lens and I can't stand the AF inconsistancy. I'm selling it to buy the Canon 24-70L. If you are used to the speed and accuracy of USM, don't wast your time with the 3rd party.

Mark

I tried out the Sigma 24-70, but ended up getting the Canon 24-70L because it had more

accurate focusing (on a 10D), and better contrast, the build quality was great on both, and

Sigma was better in the price range, but in the end the L won out.............................(and my

view is not L bias, my favorite lens, and probably one of the sharpest lenses out now is the

Sigma 150 macro, this I would pick up over any L)

>> I need something in 24-70 range

No you don't :-)

22mm is rather close to 24mm so that is covered. 50mm and 70mm are also nicely covered. What do you need, 28mm? 35mm? Get either the 28/2.8 or 35/2. They are small, cheap and optically excellent.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Whenever I'm using my 24-85, I find myself lusting for the non-existent f/4 version of the 24-70. (My other lenses are all Canon primes and (f/4) L zooms.) I may eventually just break down and buy the 24-70 f/2.8L, although I'd much rather have a smaller, lighter, slightly slower version of it.

I've had enough minor, intermittent problems with my 20D and Canon lenses that I don't want any of the possible hassles with third-party glass.

Thanks to all. Still my hart is going to Canon L glass<br>

but wallet not. I will have to pay visit to my Photo store<br>

and just test Canon against Sigma. I want to see it.<br><br>

I start having a bit problems with my 20D and 70-200mm 2.8 L IS.<br>

Focus problem and Error 99 and lately F stops shows as 00<br>

locking my camera till I power down and change lens....<br><br>

(?)<br><br> Looks like it's time to test my camera by Canon...<br>

for sure - after long weekend (in Canada)<br><br>

Thanks to all for your time! Have a nice one.<br><br>

Peter

Earlier, I wrote: "I may eventually just break down and buy the 24-70 f/2.8L..."

No, on second thought, I won't. I'll just keep my current kit unless / until something breaks, or until Canon produces any of the following lenses:

EF 28mm f/1.8 II USM

EF 50mm f/2.5 (or faster) Compact Macro USM

EF 24-70mm (or 28-80mm) f/4L IS USM

EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM

Thank you, I feel much better now.

As a fellow 20D owner unless you really need f2.8, I would get the 17-40 4.0L and call it a day. I love mine and its much lighter than the 17-35 2.8L. You have the 50 1.8 and 70-200 2.8L already and I really don't think you'll miss not being able to zoom between the 40~70mm range.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in similar position, having bought a 70-200 F4 L for my 350D. I love the quality of this lens & am now looking at the 24-70.

The price IS a big problem, although EVERYONE says it is a wonderful lens.

Another surprising issue is how the price varies (I live in Thailand, so will not buy from Thailand)

USD 1100 in US

USD 1370 in Singapore

USD 1650 in UK

!