Nikon D100 and cracked LCD on my birthday.

erickpro

Today is my birthday. About 4 days ago I had to evacuate my city

because of hurricane Rita. I took my computer and all my equipment

with me. I drove to San Antonio with my family and stayed there for

2 days and finally came home glad that nothing happened. My Nikon

D100 was still in a bag but the bag was open and I didn't noticed

it. I was grabbing the bag to give it to my dad and my Nikon D100

fell and crashed into the corner of my Canon XL1s case, I saw pieces

flying everywhere and I was afraid to look at my camera wich was

lifeless on the floor... I picked it up and saw that the LCD

cover was gone in pieces and the LCD glass was cracked. I powered

it on and everything worked so I need to say that the D100 actually

resists being dropped, even the Nikon 17-35mm F/2.8 ED survived.

Now, does anybody has any idea of how much it costs to replace the

glass of the LCD ?

My guess is that it would relatively easy to replace an LCD. I've not taken a D100 apart, so I don't know the specifics, but typically the LCD is a separate part connected to the main PCB by a flat cable (looks like negative film). If the rest of the camera works fine, just swapping in a working LCD should be a piece of cake for Nikon Repair.

But more seriously, I think God is sending you a message:

*booming voice*

"Get a D2X... Get one for everyone who replies to this post... At least get one for Lauren..."

Sorry to hear about your D100.

I cannot answer how much the repair costs but if it still can take pictures, the CCD placed right behind the LCD screen seems to remain intact.

However, even if you would want to replace your D100 with newer DSLR, you might not have to buy D2X. Although the viewfinders of current D50 and D70s seem to be inferior to that of D100, the AF ability, picture quality, noise performance and speed of operation should be better than D100, which can be good reason to buy either of them.

Both D50 and D70s reportedly suffer from maze artifact in details of the picture and smear when you shoot directly into the sun. If these problem is not fatal for your taste or needs, D50 and D70s would be worth considering.

Hope this helps.

Akira

I'd be tempted to leave the cracked LCD and keep using the camera as-is. Wear it as a badge of pride. Get yourself a t-shirt that says "I survived hurricane Rita and my camera survived me."

Happy birthday, BTW. Are you hinting around for permission to buy another camera? Your wish is granted. You're buying, of course... %^/

the main reasons why I want it fixed is because sometimes I shoot in dusty or humid places and mositure and dust will eventually get there and then it may affect the LCD. I had the LCD cover as well, and that thing is what somehow helped the imapct.<div>00DhWD-25847484.jpg.8fe98bed3fa88a652e62f0f290dd7982.jpg</div>

OK, the cracked window appears to be simply glued onto the body. I'm afraid I cannot estimate the repair fee but the broken part should be easily (and thus without excessive cost) replaceable. Why not call Nikon to ask about it?

Wish you "another" good luck.

Akira

Calderon - you know life is full of surprises. I would send it to Nikon with the statement you posted here and ask for an estimate that will not brake the bank. With a little luck "real people" at Nikon might find a reasonable response considering the situation. If no luck you can always help yourself with a little bit of clear transparent tape trimmed to size to cover the crack. It will protect from moisture and dust. Wish you luck.

Cheers

Walter

I am still stuck on....you grabbed your computer, but left your D100 behind... THAT alone should tell you that you are ready for an upgrade! But, seriously, if it's cheap to repair, do it soon...that moisture is deadly for your camera gear!

I was interested to hear about your experience and that the D100 survived. I suspected it was sturdy and would tolerate mild abuse the first time I held one!

Congrats on coming home to a home...

• 2 years later...

I never followed up on this but I used Shekar Narayanan's link to the Nikon parts and found the lcd cover 6K600-417 and replaced it myself. The camera doesn't have to be disasembled, just remove the old cover and sticky stuff, then replace the new sticky and put the cover on. Very simple, takes about 5 minutes.

Thanks!