Nikon Coolscan III grainy low quality

I bought a used Nikon coolscan III from a friend. I've scanned

various color negative, b&w, and slide film with it. All my images

come out kinda grainy or noisey (can't really determine). When I

used it on my friends computer before I bought it from him, I used to

get some very good scans. It happens both using and not using

digital ice. Maybe its just me, or maybe the monitor. Most likely I

just don't know how to use it properly. Any advice?

I had a Coolscan II which produced quite good scans (except for the ever present noise in shadow areas on slides). Is your film underexposed (slide) or overexposed (negative)? In which case the automatic exposure will be forcing the exposure, potentially creating graininess

Some comments:

1.) This model tends to get dirty easily. The dust results in soft images and halos. I don't know if Nikon has solved the issue with newer models. Turn it off and store it in a plastic bag when not in use.

2.) The max resolution isn't that great compared to more modern scanners.

3.) The software that came with it, Nikon Scan 2.5, is terrible in my opinion. Download and try vuescan. The trial version will have watermarks, but you will be able to see if the quality is better or not. It made a world of difference until I had issues with dust.

4.) I'm much happier with the Canon FS4000 that replaced the LS30 (coolscan III). This isn't a Canon vs. Nikon thing, just an observation that a more modern piece of equipment does a better job. If I was in the market now, I'd look at the Minolta 5400.

5.) If your friend was getting good results, perhaps he could bring a slide or two and try it on your system?

6.) Calibrate your monitor, just in case.