Backyard challenge with 120 Ikomat

I seem to attract Ikomats that have no clear identification. This

clean user-grade camera in question takes 120 film, has a 10.5cm f/6.3

Novar Anastigmat lens (Nr 1114021), Derval shutter (T B 100 50 25),

and still had its classy red Zeiss Ikon cable release that fits into

the door. It has "Germany" finely scribed in gold on one side of the

reticulated-finish strut, and has "Ikomat" embossed on front.

Handwritten in pencil inside is the number B37773. Not much else by

way of ID on it. I bought this model because it is a virtual little

brother of a 116 version that I also have.

In order to finish off the roll after one barely-inspired highway

construction view, I took the challenge of looking at my back yard in

a new way. I was able to find a few subjects that framed well at the

near-focus limit of 7 feet. Kodak 400TX developed in straight D-76,

with mild sepia hue added after scanning.<div>00D3cc-24936384.jpg.67c561c93da295e2ce273f8ba0c9d54d.jpg</div>

The 6x9 format favors strong vertical arrangements. This spot in the garden has the most lush growth. Color film would be nice to capture the green, but for many years, somehow, photographers have managed to convey verdancy through the medium of black and white... I'm still working on it.<div>00D3d8-24936984.jpg.1e6e9a22aaf30592988977c9fb6baf39.jpg</div>

We are trying for a National Wildlife backyard certificate, so what would our garden be without a St. Francis of Assisi statue? This was as close as I could get, but I could see a better picture in there. The next photo will be a crop of part of this scene.<div>00D3dH-24937084.jpg.687ed00b5cf81fb97183a0b3e5d111cb.jpg</div>

One suggested crop... something I'll try again with a closer-focusing camera.

This is the last from that roll that I'll post. The others were good, but could benefit from being closer than 7 feet, especially to get more selective focusing.<div>00D3dT-24937284.jpg.241cfa6829bb7b5bcf3c6df93e982128.jpg</div>

Yes, CE... I find I have to work hard for the occasional good roll (or single image in the roll!) using these oldies, but when everything works together, its a rush. For once I metered the shadows well and gauged the distance more or less correctly. I think the primitive finders on these cameras force you to previsualize more intently.

That boy there makes me want to be a boy again, especially with this NYC heat. Spent yesterday wilting in the subway while heading to and from Canal St. for desk lamp parts. What I wouldn't have given for a grass backyard and a good garden hose. Simple tools, eh?

David, what a great observation about tonality. I can see it particularly in the St. Francis shot, where the Lamb's Ear in b&w really has a chiaroscuro-like glow that I did not even see in the scene at the time. It'll be interesting to see how this scene fares when training other classic lenses and films on it.