Intermittent problem with D70 and Nikkor lenses

scott_carlsson

My D70 ALWAYS works fine with my AFS 24-85. I also have a Nikkor 18-35, and an AFD

two-ring 80-200 f2.8. The 18-35 works fine for maybe 5-6 frames, then D70 shows F--,

no matter what mode camera is in. Will not fire. Turn off and on again, reset camera-will

not fire with that lens. Same exact scenario with the 80-200. Starts off fine, then F-- after

several frames. I have also a Nikkor AF 105 Micro, no problems whatsoever with D70 and

that lens.

This is with JPEG and RAW. I always keep all mounts, camera and lenses very clean.

Nikon Tech support doesn't have a clue, over the phone anyway.

What gives?

<BLOCKQUOTE><I><B>Scott Carlsson, jul 04, 2005; 07:39 p.m.</B>

<br>

My D70 ALWAYS works fine with my AFS 24-85. I also have a Nikkor 18-35, and an AFD two-ring 80-200 f2.8. The 18-35 works fine for maybe 5-6 frames, then D70 shows F--, no matter what mode camera is in. Will not fire. Turn off and on again, reset camera-will not fire with that lens. Same exact scenario with the 80-200. Starts off fine, then F-- after several frames. I have also a Nikkor AF 105 Micro, no problems whatsoever with D70 and that lens.

</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

It *sounds* like dirty/intermittent electrical contacts between the lens and the body; but the exact "pattern" is more than a bit strange.  Do all of these lenses physically fit as precisely as possible (i.e., *no* wobble or play once they've "clicked home")?  Are you certain that the battery is fully charged?  Did you at any point "fumble" or otherwise have trouble getting a lens mounted, which might conceivably have slightly bent some of the mechanical linkages (such as for aperture-control or AF) in the body's lens-mount?  Any chance to try the "problem" lenses on a different body (even one briefly borrowed from your friendly local dealer)?  These are all pretty much pot-shot guesses; but it's where I'd start the troubleshooting.

<BLOCKQUOTE><I>

This is with JPEG and RAW.

</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

I highly doubt that's significant.

<BLOCKQUOTE><I>

I always keep all mounts, camera and lenses very clean.

</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm generally willing to take your word for that; but do bear in mind that the sort of "dirt" that can cause electrical-contact problems can easily be invisible.  But OTOH, it really shouldn't "come and go" that regularly or that repeatedly; so I suspect your word is fine, and some more permanent form of damage is the culprit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><I>

Nikon Tech support doesn't have a clue, over the phone anyway.

<br>

<br>

What gives?

</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's odd.  Did they even suggest you bring/send it in for a check-up?

<br>

<br>

Typically, F-- means the camera body's electronics cannot communicate with the CPU in the lens. For example, you get F-- if you mount a no-CPU lens on the D70.

As Guy points out, the first thing I would re-check are the electronic contacts in the lens mount area. Make sure that they are not oxidized.

This is up to you and do it at your own risk. If the pencil eraser method doesn't work, I would use a small screwdriver to carefully "polish" the contacts.