Leica DMR: First impressions

For those interested in R photography, AND how Leica may compete in the digital world, I

can say "fabulous" if this DMR is any indication.

I received the DMR on Friday, charged it up and tested it right away. Was impressed

enough to slap a 28-90R on it and stuff it in the Canon bag along with the 1DsMKII and a

full compliment of L glass... then off to shoot an outdoor wedding and reception today.

Very bright and contrasty lighting conditions ... a real acid test of any digital camera.

Well, I shot about 130 images with the R9 sans fill flash (don't have one yet), and the

damned thing stood toe-to-toe with the Canon which I used fill flash with. The dynamic

range of the Leica is phenomenal for a digital camera. I still have a small learning curve

with the DMR, but it's just a shoot way or so before all the settings are refined to my style

of shooting. The handling was superior to the Canon 1DsMKII IMO, and the whole rig is

lighter. The battery seems to be long lasting, even with constant review on the LCD. I

really like how they set up the Histogram as a faint chart line over a full image.

I did experience 2 files with a strange thin line running through the photo. But it

was none existent on all the rest. Well see, as we shoot more, if it re-appears again in

future.

I'm geeked, and plan on using it again at tomorrow's wedding shoot.<div>00D3eT-24937784.jpg.349c7c8591e6215a26acdd087682ea54.jpg</div>

The noise is of my making. I lifted this image's shadows to far (remember, I wasn't using

fill flash because I don't have a flash for the R9 yet) ... and I also sharpened the web

upload to much late last night after working 10 hours. No noise reduction was employed,

even in the RAW# developer. BTW, the Bride pictured does have a freckled complexion, so

those that noticed that were correct. I also haven't tweaked the in-camera settings on the

DMR yet, and will do so as I learn more about how it handles certain conditions. In the

meantime, I'll post another ISO 400 shot taken in high contrast lighting conditions.

I have a 20D, and from this preliminary experience this camera is waaaaay better. Some

people like ultra smooth looking digital, I don't. IMO, this camera produces a more film

like visual feel over-all... perhaps due to being a CCD sensor rather than a CMOS. I also

noticed that it produced much better spectral highlights without the harsh edging than

even the 1DsMKII produces using Contax C/Y glass. I do think the Canons are very good

at very high ISOs but subjectively have never liked the files when faced with drastic

contrast. Most of my work is done at ISO 200 to 400, with an occasional need to use the

super high ISOs ... so the 1DsMKII isn't being replaced with this camera. What I need now

are some Leica R lenses that are faster than this 28-90 zoom... so I can shoot available

light at hand holdable shutter speeds. This may, and I stress "may" become an excellent

available light digital for the way I tend to shoot. While the Canons DO work well at high

ISOs, I don't like the handling of the contrast when strong light sources and deep shadows

are present in the scene... which is a frequent occurrence with wedding work ... like this

shot where the window was extremely bright and the background hallway extremely dark

... which I thought the Leica DMR handled quite well ....<div>00D3lQ-24941784.jpg.6933e740895e82208c365d5df3715a64.jpg</div>

Hmmm, There appears to be banding in the above web upload, but it is not in the image

file at all. I even printed it to be sure. I wonder why that happened?

Here, I'll load it as a larger file and you'll have to click on it if interested.

Hey Peter thanks. I'll keep at it, and as I shorten the learning curve that one has to do with

any new digital camera, I'll let you know the progress. Sure wish I had kept all my Leica R

glass now. Need a 19/2.8, 35/1.4, 80/1.4 or 90/2, and 180/2.8 APO for this kit to be

truly usable for weddings. The 28-90R zoom is great, but too slooooow at the long end.<div>00D3lq-24941984.jpg.763ecbaafbee9b621ecc844f08e992d0.jpg</div>

I've been shooting digital off and on for three and one-half years, from 5 megapixels to 14 megapixels. Resolving power continues to be one of my prime criteria, and my Kodak 14n has been fine on resolving power but not so good at higher ISOs and in situations of low light. In situations of high contrast it has been so-so.

These photos, by contrast, show both very good resolving power (considering the ISO) and good dynamic range. I am very impressed, Marc.

Here is another take on the comparison of the Leica and the Canon 1Ds Mark II:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/252585

--Lannie

Thanks for the info Marc - Who am I to argue? I have only dabbled with digital imaging.

I am interested to learn about the benefits of using non-digital -optimized glass with a digital sensors. I keep reading in the photography press about problems in the corners due to the angle of light incidence or something like that. Is this not an issue?

"The noise is of my making. I lifted this image's shadows to far (remember, I wasn't using fill flash because I don't have a flash for the R9 yet)"

Marc, you do know that the DMR is incapable of doing any kind of TTL flash other than using the "f" pre-flashmetering function? To do fill flash you will need to use a flash with manual power settings and a handheld flashmeter and make the calcs yourself, or a flash with an AUTO setting and fool it with the wrong ISO or a different aperture than the flash calculator indicates. If you've got a Vivitar 283 or similar lying around you can do the fill with about 95% of the function you'll get buying the Metz 54 and a SCA module (the only advantage there is that it telegraphs the lens aperture and DMR's ISO to the flash).

Thanks Ben. I didn't know that. I tried the SF20 on TTL and it just didn't work. Hope Metz

makes something for this camera eventually. However, I have found that Auto seems to

work just as well or better (at least more simply) on other Digital cameras, so I'll give it a

try that way first. I like adjusting the flash ISO, it's so no brainer to achieve fill.

Hi Marc. Regarding the "film-like" quality, I suspect it might have something to do with the

DMR capturing colors in 16-bit rather than 14- or 12-bit, thus producing smoother tones.

(Theoretically this means 64 to 4096 times more colors.) When the DMR was announced I

considered this the most interesting "virtue" albeit it has rarely been mentioned. Also it

might have something to do with the absence of a moir filter. To me images from the DMR

look as if they come from medium format backs.

Marc,

thanks for posting the DMR pics. They definitely have Leica look. I use R lenses on my Canon 1D and no matter what I do they don't have the Leica look ... I think it's in the chip ? The bokeh on the Leica lens looks better but that's about it. looking forward to own a DMR one of these days.

Hope Leica encrypted their firmware code so no one could hack it. Just think of what would happen if the code to the Leica Look fell into the hands of Nikon or Canon : )

Personally, I think the shot has the Marc Williams Look.