best teleconverter for Nikon 80-200 AF-D?

mihut_ionescu

The Kenko pro 300 series will preserve AF on this lens and be of minimal optical compromise if you use the 1.4X. There are other Kenkos that are not adviseable, but there exists a Tamron equivalent to the Kenko pro series that is essentially the same thing with different cosmetics(one manufactures for the other) 1.4X is usual a safe bet, try to avoid 2X, it will make you feel bad about your lens.

I have the same lens, love it. I was thinking about buying a teleconverter, but I am not sure it will retain AF capabilities since this is not an AF-S? It would be a great solution to make it an "almost" 300mm. I am awaiting for your advise as well. Great lens Mihut, I love mine.

If you check the archives, certain well-known reviewers, etc., the scuttlebutt with zooms is to try to stay at 1.4X for teleconvertors. With primes you have more margin for error.

I've heard the most comments about the Kenko brands, but I haven't used them. Anecdotally, I get more than acceptable results with the 80-200/2.8 AF-S + TC 14E, but that doesn't help you much, since you need to keep AF (and will lose it with a Nikon teleconvertor).