Outdoors with the lightsphere II

kari douma

I am finally getting around to testing my lightsphere. I tested it

inside, and I am very happy with it. I tested it outside, and still

need some work. What are you doing with the lightsphere outside? I

took a picture of my daughter in the back yard tonight. I set my

camera to "P" with the lightsphere dome on, pointing at my daughter.

(This was exactly what Gary Fong's website told me to do.) I took

several pictures. Then I took the lightsphere off, and dialed my

flash to -2 for fill, as I would have if I were not using the

lightsphere. I left my camera settings the same."P" gave me F4 1/60

@100 ISO. The lightsphere image was blown out as you can see. How

are you using your lightsphere outside?<div>00CmLR-24498584.jpg.4243163c399b3555681ea1783c108014.jpg</div>

This whole outdoor digital fill-flash issue has me mystified. I use an Olympus E-1 with an Oly FL-50. Inside it was great, but for fill on a bright day, I had the opposite results: I made no adjustment on the flash or camera, "P" mode, and it was underexposed by 1 full stop! I don't have a clue. I guess I just have to use it and write down what I do to get the results I need.<div>00CmM5-24498984.jpg.a77465c587a7579e861b0fe4a6827c75.jpg</div>

I would think you'd have to dial in -2 when using the Lightsphere as well as when not using it, especially if you don't have auto fill reduction (I think you use a Fuji S3?).

As for the difference--two different cameras, both used in an automated mode, will do different things. Plus, in Todd's example, the flash/Lightsphere combo might just have run out of power in that high brightness situation.

I'm still trying to master this myself, but here's what I do. Camera on manual. Metering set to spot, EV on the camera (or flash) set to +2/3 to +1, flash on E-TTL and HSS. LS2 with dome on, pointed forward. Adjust aperture and shutter for the background. Focus on subject and shoot. I've had better luck with the LS2 by NOT following Gary's instructions.<div>00CmOM-24500384.jpg.140cbf6d39b0c31b39c168760eb0bc35.jpg</div>

Kari, you just need to spend more time playing with it. I bribe my kids with a magazine (keeps them from getting bored) to sit for me while I'm trying to learn something new. But first, start out with an inanimate object, and when you feel like you're getting good exposures, bring out the bribe and the kid. Don't use the Program mode, you lose too much control.

I've had the LS flare the lens badly (at least with the 16-35) when the dome is pointed

forward so I just always leave it pointing up indoor or out.

I like the thing. It's silly looking but it's a great ice breaker as EVERYONE asks about it and

seems to like it when I explain that it's a very special "beauty dome" and makes everyone

look pretty.

plus, it works pretty well for what it is.

here's an outdoor fill shot. AV 1/400th 2.8 16mm on 1.6x body 580ex LSII no flash comp.<div>00CmTT-24501884.jpg.9d962b000dcc15ba885bcfa4d3c99498.jpg</div>

You are right Nadine, I am using the S3. I have the SB800 flash. I find my flash is always on the hot side anyway. I'm sure if I hadn't dialed my flash to -2 without the lightsphere, it would have been overexposed too. Is anyone else using the SB800 with the lightsphere?

I know I have to play with it more. I was just starting at the beginning, so I can work from there. I was just curious to see how everyone else uses it outside.

Those of you who use the lightshpere, can you see a huge difference with it in your outdoor pictures? I really like it inside, but I am wondering if there will be a noticible difference on the outdoor shots. What do you think?

What I don't get is the variety in answers. Cindy uses a +flash compensation, and Beau uses a - exposure and - flash compensation. Does this account for the difference in cameras, or the difference in metering techniques?

Thank you for all the responses and samples so far :)!

Lucas...thanks for mentioning the lens flare thing w/ it pointing forward. I used it on my 17-35 and had a haze and flare I was trying to figure out. I have had good luck w/ the 20D 580EX combo facing forward w/ my 50mm 2.5 using it as fill for backlight. This has been a great option for me and I hope to have it totally dialed in before using it for anything I can't reshoot.<div>00CmiW-24508484.jpg.4c39bf114bfd957ef72e6c96baa204f4.jpg</div>

I found that with outdoor use in broad daylight and backlit, the +2 is what I end up most pleased with. if the light is late day (the magic hour or there abouts), then the -1 works better (except with the sun directly behind in which case back to the + comp).

Night time use varies widely depending on the available light or lack of.

Kari, the differences in flash compensation have to do with different cameras/flashes. Note that all the people who described what they did for exposure were using their flash on TTL--whatever kind of TTL their camera uses. I know, for instance, that with the 20D and 580EX, one usually needs to dial in +2/3 flash compensation just to get the flash to NOT underexpose. So Cindy's +2/3 flash compensation reads to me as no flash compensation. Beau was using a 550EX and a 1Ds2, Todd, I know, has an Olympus E-1. I know Canon cameras have auto fill flash reduction, which no one addressed in their descriptions. Don't think you can compare what someone with a different camera/flash does to your situation. You have to figure out what your camera does in similar situations and use your controls to get the best exposure/fill flash out of it. Since it's digital, it would be very simple to set up several different kinds of outdoor lighting situations and systematically test combinations of ambient/flash settings to find what works best.

Steve, I think Michael meant that since the Lightsphere throws light all around, including downward, it lit up his face and arm in the window, which would not necessarily have happened with, say, an OmniBounce, which doesn't throw light downward. You get the flash reflection regardless of course.

I shoot with a D100 and use an SB80-DX flash. Any advice for this particular camera and flash?

I am a newbie when it comes to flash photography and I was unaware that I had to turn my flash / camera down to something like -2, as Gary's site does not say that at all and I was trying to follow his directions to a T.

Thanks,

Robyn

in regards to: "Meter for ambient or up to -1 and ..."

To clarify for me,

Do you

First - in M mode, spot meter the background and purposely underexpos by a stop.

Then - focus on the subject and flash away!

In other words, you do not need to dial down the flash? Thanks much.

Dave

David,

Yes, that is what I mean. Using ETTL on a 10D or 300D. Usually, if anything, the flash is dialed up a bit depending on the colors of the subjects relative to the background.

M mode if I am controlling a shoot since it forces me to take my time and think. Very rarely Av with up to a stop lower of exposure compensation if I am doing candids, being lazy, or in a hurry. That usually requires/encourages chimping though.

Grant